how to connect all new parts?

stuckinmud

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have installed the pamco. I have installed Hugh's PMA. PMA is hooked up to the Rectifier that came with Hugh's kit.

I have the spark plugs hooked to the Dual output performance Ignition Coil fromm Mikesxs.

I want to run the motor in the frame and I am pretty certain I want a battery and starter.

How do I wire it up just to run it in the frame for now?

Want to see if I can do it and use it as the base for wiring the rest of the bike.

I trolled for diagrams and I just got overwhelmed..........

With the pamco, hook it to the coil and ground as shown in the installation instructions. Where it tells you to hook the red wire from the Pamco and the coil to power from the red/white wire of the stock harness, hook them to a switch, hook the switch to the positive of a battery, hook the negitive from the battery to the bike frame.
Turn the switch on, kick start the bike, it should fire up and run. Adjust timing as in the Pamco instructions.
On the PMA wire it as Hugh tells you in his install instructions. Run the positive wire from reg/rec to positive on a second battery, hook negitive from reg/rec to negitive on second battery.
At this point you should have the Pamco hooked to one battery, the PMA hooked to a second battery.
Now with bike running test battery voltage to see if the PMA is working right.
Once you get the PMA and ignition working you can start with the rest of wiring.
Just use one of the diagrams that have the Pamco and a PMA in them. Get that part done. Adding in the electric starter is a simple thing.
Leo

My coil has 2 wires coming from it, one Blue and White and the other black (?). I assume Blue and White is the positive?

The switch that you refer to is an ignition switch? A switch that is either on or off, that would kill all power from the battery to the coil as to kill the motor while it was running?

Not sure what you mean by the second battery?? Are you advising to use a second battery for testing the PMA voltage to ensure it is charging the battery (of which one will be the only amount necessary to run the bike post testing)?

Thank you very much for the reply bro! Helps out tons!!

Coil has two wires one positive one ground, can be hooked up either way.
Switch, yes, just has to kill power to ignition. This is just for testing, use any on/off switch. Once you get ready for permanet wiring use a good switch.
Second battery is as you said, testing for proper output of PMA. If you just hook it all up to one battery and the PMA puts out too much voltage it can burn out the Pamco. Yes, once all testing is done you use just one battery.
Leo

Just for clarification sir, either coil wire can be hooked to power or ground, it makes no difference?

very helpful!! Thank you so much. I have always tried to do as you suggest, "The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try. " But I try to do enough proper research first.......:)

Yes, dual output coils are not polarity sensitive. They can be hooked up either way.
Leo

Thanks again for the help! I wired it up the way I understood that you advised.

I got 2 smaller 12 volt batteries from parts store. One hooked to rectifier for charging the other for ignition.

Followed pamco install diagram as you suggested, black ground to frame, green to coil negative and red to positive on coil spliced with power from battery with a switch between battery and the spliced coil power and pamco power.

Have not tested it yet
Wanted to check if that was right.

Sounds right. That should get the bike to run. Then check the PMA output on the second battery.
Leo

Back