How to extend your Brake rod with hardtail??

chicity6fifty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need a longer brake rod for my xs bobber i got a tc bros hard tail and want to know how you guys are doing it for your brake rod....do you guys extend it or make a new one?? pics well be good to

You can have someone make you one like Fabricator Kevin, Bung King, etc. Or you could build one with two spherical rod ends (heim joints) and some rod. Really the possibilities are endless, just takes a bit of ingenuity.

If you have access to welding equipment, you can just extend it with some 1/4" steel round stock

If you have access to 1/4 round steel stock you can just make a new one piece longer one as well. Not too hard to bend up.

Oh, by the way. Ghetto and I are talking about your rear drum brake actuator rod/arm. The one that moves with your pedal action, not the brake stay which keeps your brake shoes from rotating. Either way, same principle.

I was able to use my stock one. I just welded a bung to the inside of the frame rails. It lines right up. Then the caliper rotates front or back to compensate for axle position from chain adjustment.

The only area where it's being a problem now, is that I'm now trying to figure out where to mount a fender brace/sissy bar - and the huge caliper is pretty much just "in the way", no matter what. So once I position a mounting point for the sissy bar, the caliper is not going to be able to move that much or it would hit the leg of the sissy bar.

I was thinking of cutting my stock one in half and taking a couple inches out. Then whittling down a threaded bung enough so I can shove it in one end and weld it in. Then put a piece of threaded rod in there. Then do the same thing with a bung on the other end, and turn the other side into it and use a nut (or 2) to make sure it stays in place. So it's "adjustable".

Anyway....the other thing I thought of doing was making 2-3 new ones out of beefy flat stock (like 3/16 in) and making the holes slightly different distances apart. So as I adjust the axle (which I don't foresee doing a whole lot) I would just swap in a stay with either wider apart spacing (if I move the axle back) or shorter spacing, if I were to remove a link, if the chain ever REALLY stretched.

I was able to use my stock brake arm but I have heard of people going out to the hardware store getting rod bending it to what ever they need then using that it's a pull not a push so it doesn't really matter how thin it is good luck

Back