How to install new butterfly seals?

NewestOnTheBlock

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install new butterfly seals. But i've never tackled this task before. I'm wondering if there are any tutorials or even step-by-step procedures that show how to disassemble the butterfly throttle and to replace the seal.

I was expecting the largest challenge to be removing the actual screws out of the butterfly themselves (the 2 per), but I actually didn't have much trouble getting them out. Now its just getting the assembly out and replacing the seals. Much thanks

You have to dismount the carbs from the cross brace. Once apart and the butterflies out, take the linkage parts off, throttle and sync and the shafts should slide out. Once out just swap the new seals for the old.
Leo

There is an important step during the assembly after the seal install. You must center the butterfly plates in the bores or they can hang open slightly. Install them with the screws just snug. Assemble the return springs and the rest of the parts on the shafts. Rotate the plates fully open and let them snap shut a couple of times. Tighten the plate screws.

When you install the return springs, they pull the shafts towards them slightly. If you already had the plate screws tight, this could bind the plate up against the side of the main bore, causing it to not close fully.

There is an important step during the assembly after the seal install. You must center the butterfly plates in the bores or they can hang open slightly. Install them with the screws just snug. Assemble the return springs and the rest of the parts on the shafts. Rotate the plates fully open and let them snap shut a couple of times. Tighten the plate screws.

When you install the return springs, they pull the shafts towards them slightly. If you already had the plate screws tight, this could bind the plate up against the side of the main bore, causing it to not close fully.

I second that from experience!

Back