How to Remove Bronze Bushings

gps2

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm thinking of removing a set of bronze bushings from a rear drum swingarm to install in a rear disc swingarm but they're in there TIGHT. I don't want to destroy them in the process. Any tips on how to get them out cleanly without gouging them?
Cheers!

Posted via Mobile

you could try cooling them in a freezer and then gently tapping them out - works well for installation, so i gotta imagine it works well in reverse.

and/or

i had to remove the bronze bushings from a tx750 swingarm i was installing on my bike (to make way for needle bearings) i just used an aluminum pipe and a hammer - didn't srew em up or anything

I've often wondered about how I would do this if I had to. As a last resort I think I would take a new hacksaw blade and try to slice it lengthwise while avoiding hitting the swing arm itself with the blade. It would probably cut fast being bronze and once it got thin enough in the slot I was cutting the pressure it exerts against the swing arm walls that holds it in would disappear. At that point you should be able to just knock it out.

Assuming you want to reuse the bushings this works very good.
4-3-09 001.jpg

swingarm.jpg

I have removed several of the OEM bushings with this and they could be reused. (oh yeah I want that)
just a piece of 1/2" iron pipe with slots in one end, threaded rod, a couple of nuts, one with a bevel ground on it. insert, tighten, tap out the bushing, reverse and tap out the second bushing.

You could probably go even simpler and cut 4 fairly long slots on one end of the pipe pry them apart a bit, squeeze them to put them though one bushing, they should spring apart enough to drive out the the other bushing easily.

Last edited:
I removed plastic oem ones by chipping off the flange and then driving a big nail between the bushing and the swingarm. It cracked the bushings and they fell right out.

I took my original plastic bushes out by using a long 1/2" drive extension bar as a drift, tapping all around with a decent gympie. And like Gary said, they are still on the shelf as useable spares.

I would just weld a tab on the top of the swingarm for the caliper stay and call it done. That is the only thing you need really to run a disc brake on the rear swingarm.

I bought new bushings for my $10 disc swing arm. Sold the drum swing arm for what I paid for the bushings and disc swingarm. Came out even on cost and didn't hurt the bushings a bit.

Back