How to silence the silencer?

QTreiber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mufflers my 1979 Special II came with are very loud. I don't see a brand name stamped on them.

XS650Muffler-1.jpg

The "end caps" can be taken off.

XS6501982.jpg

XS6501985.jpg

Is there some kind of insert to reduce the noise level or do I have to replace the whole system (mufflers are welded onto the headers)?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Armin

You could try wrapping the outer diameter of the baffle with fiberglass (leave the end alone), this ought to help somewhat.

tainless steel potscrubbers last longer than fiberglass and no rust
Hadn't thought of that one!!
I had some Dunstall copys that were similar inside to what you have.
Packed "glass" between the shell and outside of the perforated baffle and it did help a great deal. You do have to replace it every so often but the sound was much better.

Right. Those are Emgo shorty megaphones; I'm using the same muffs. For some reason Emgo delivers them with a little circle of glass right around the end of the baffle that doesn't do a thing for silencing, and they're rowdy as hell right out of the box. Wrap 'em with your packing of choice and they'll quiet down nicely.

My muffler looks the same on the outside, but it's an "XS performance" shorty from mikes, and the baffle is different (a bit more complicated):

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img250/07-0115.jpg

Anyone here ever experiment with fiberglass and one of these?

:eek: Sorry to hijack - I posted a similar thread that isn't getting any bites.

Thanks, JB

My muffler looks the same on the outside, but it's an "XS performance" shorty from mikes, and the baffle is different (a bit more complicated):

http://www.mikesxs.net/parts/img250/07-0115.jpg

Anyone here ever experiment with fiberglass and one of these?

:eek: Sorry to hijack - I posted a similar thread that isn't getting any bites.

Thanks, JB
looks like a better baffle than the Emgos I've had those break loose internally just get some of those stainless pot scrubbers stretch them out and wrap them to fill, work better than the dirt bike packing you can buy

I checked again and it looks like the baffle is not removable... I tried to pull and turn it, but it wouldn't move. Am I out of luck?

XS650.jpg

Maybe it's time to look for different mufflers. Still not sure if a Standard muffler (this is what I am looking for) will fit; the bike is a Special II. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks again for your help!
Armin

They'll come out. If push comes to shove, start the motor and wind it up a few times.

They did come out! Prying and using a rubber mallet from the outside worked.

XS6502008.jpg

No wonder these are so loud...

XS6502007.jpg

I have lots of fine and superfine steel wool at home; would this work? To what length should I wrap the perforated tube?

Thank you,
Armin

steel wool is what everyone else is calling pot scrubbers. and wrap the whole thing if you want it as quiet as possible.

With steel wool you'll be blowing rust out your tail pipe in a month. SS pot scrubbers are a dollar each and no store's gonna have more than ten on hand. Fiberglas is the best sound absorber I've heard suggested and a building supply store with give you enough to do it for free. Lambs wool is the best sound absorber of all but would fire up and smell like a burning cat

looks like a better baffle than the Emgos I've had those break loose internally just get some of those stainless pot scrubbers stretch them out and wrap them to fill, work better than the dirt bike packing you can buy

Gonna be a little tricky with the XS performance baffle. If I cover the entire length with fiber glass (or steel wool), I'll be totally blocking off the 6 outer outlets of the pipe, significantly restricting the flow (most of the flow is in the area where other pipes have packing). Guess I'll just have to play around with it. :banghead:

wal mart 3 pack about $3 a pack won't burn out or RUST like regular steel wool, stretch them out to do a tight wrap and hold it down with masking tape, which WILL burn out and release the wrapping

Attachments

• PDSSP50S.jpg
    PDSSP50S.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 197
Gonna be a little tricky with the XS performance baffle. If I cover the entire length with fiber glass (or steel wool), I'll be totally blocking off the 6 outer outlets of the pipe, significantly restricting the flow (most of the flow is in the area where other pipes have packing). Guess I'll just have to play around with it. :banghead:
Let us know how these tunable baffles turned out. I've just ordered a set of emgos with this same baffle and was also wondering if some packing material could be used in some way to quiet them down if needed. Thanks in advance.

Let us know how these tunable baffles turned out. I've just ordered a set of emgos with this same baffle and was also wondering if some packing material could be used in some way to quiet them down if needed. Thanks in advance.

Untitled.png

Back