How will a 5.10-16 tire fit on a stock wheel

cmyoch

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm hunting for a new rear tire and I would like to find a vintage style tire. I know tire sizes have been beaten to no end but the search function here did not net what I'm looking for. I found a Duro tire sized at 5.10-16 that was pretty cheap. I don't want to waste my money or time on a tire that is inadequate. My bike is a '78 Special with mag wheels.

Thanks

Should fit a stock wheel O.K. That's the size i'm runnin. Don't know about the swingarm or whatever you have. Should fit a hardtail with no problems.

There are 25.4 mm to the inch. So a 5.10 tire x 25.4 = 129.54. Sounds pretty close to 130 size tire to me. A 130 wide tire is stock on the XS650.
Leo

Stock setup here with a standard swingarm. This is good info. Thanks guys!!

If anyone is interested, a 130 X 18 will not fit without modification on a rear drum brake model. It will fit on a disc brake model because the arm that prevents the caliper from spinning is further outside than the arm on the drum brake. I ended up tweaking the arm on mine a bit to offset it around the tire. (Which I had already ordered and mounted) Based on the direction the arm is stressed when applying the brakes, I felt OK with the modification.

I found most any thing in an 18 inch wheel size over a 120 can be too wide on a stock swing arm. Even some 120's can be.
In this case the OP is talking about a 16 wheel.
Leo

Craig, the best bang for your buck will be a Shinko 712 in 130/16; it will be about as cheap as the Duro but it's a lot more tire.

Oops--just noticed how old this thread is! Sorry I didn't catch it earlier.

I just got a Shinko 270 vintage looking firestone in that size and it's amazing so far (not on bike) and it's not made in China. I paid 100 bucks with tube and rim saver and shipping. It's very impressive quality in the hand..

Old thread HotRod but wanted to see what size you went with and how the fit was. I have a 79 special and just mounted the 270 5.00-16. It doesn't rub on the brake swing arm but it's close. Worried a bit about tire flex. Looks great though!

I bought the Shinko 712's in the stock sizes and I'm very pleased. The rear tire fills out the swingarm nicely and is perfect for my needs.

@cmyoch how much space have you got between the tire and swing arm? you have a photo? I ask because I am looking to put a particularly wide 5.00 x 16 on my stock swing arm and just wanna see what kind of clearances ill be dealing with.

Thanks

I ended up buying a 130/90 Shinko 712 for the rear. I am very satisfied with the tires so far. I don't know what year your bike is but when I pulled my wheel to mount the tire I was concerned about the stabilizer bar being round from end to end without a flatter segment around the tire area. Turned out I have about 1/4 clearance which leaves little to no room for error. Just make sure that your wheel is adjusted perfectly straight. The tire filled out the rear of the bike nicely and the price was great.

A 500 or 510 wide tire is a 130 wide tire. The stock 16 inch tire is a 130.
So a 500 or 510 should fit about the same as a 130.
Leo

this is a 130/90 16 Vee Rubber on the rear. It is very tight fit on spoked drum rim.

Attachments

• GEDC0014.jpg
    GEDC0014.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 142
Back