Howdy

kent_in_kc

Heartlander
Reaction score
I'm Kent, I live near Kansas City. Semi-retired, make custom bike parts, pipes, etc. Own two VStar 1100 cruisers and one recently acquired stock '76 xs650.

I am beginning to bob it, bratty, not too extreme.

What's a good thread to read about what electric components I can trash and what to keep? I'm retaining batt and starter and already have Sparkx three-phase.

Thanks, folks! Looks like a really good forum.

Kent (Heartlander)

- welcome kent...the xs is heavily laden with xstra electrical crap, most of which can be dumped...keepers are-alternator and appropriate recreg, batt, fuses, starter solenoid-relay, brake light switches, ign-coil, points/electronic, kill switch
- for a sqizz at wiring have a quick look here
- also go to the tech section-see top bar-and check out the electrical section

Thanks, pal. I appreciate it. Those simplified schematics are great. I was beginning to think the PO had run a bunch of extra phantom wires around to confuse any would-be future owners.

Seems like there are lots of PO ground wires to the triple tree, frame, engine, fender, etc. He must have awakened out of a bad drunk and become convinced he damn well needed a good ground to make his hangover go away.

I think I'm going to replace the horizontal tubes that brace the center frame down tube with the two rear frame vertical tubes. The idea is to replace their V with a wider U to allow more room for the battery. My batt needs a min of 7.5" vertical so its crowding the space I need to the electronic pan under the seat.

Anyway... thanks for your time, friend. This is a good, active forum.

Back