Huge distance between 1st & 2nd gear. Neutral hard to find.

thunderdork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my new/old bike tuned and running. But noticed a huge distance between 1st & 2nd gear. And neutral is hard to find. Anybody have input?

I got my new/old bike tuned and running. But noticed a huge distance between 1st & 2nd gear. And neutral is hard to find. Anybody have input?

Shifting from 1st to 2nd is no further than any other bike. Its quite easy to shift gears on these bikes.

You must keep the clutch adjusted properly. When you adjust down at the side cover, only back off the screw a small amount. Keep the free play at the lever perch at about
1/16". As the engine heats up you may need to readjust at the lever to keep the free play at 1/16".

Mikesxs.com sells a worm screw operating lever that has 2 holes. The inner hole will give more clutch plate separation.

"Huge distance between 1st and 2nd." Is it possible you are used to another bike and the XS650 just feels different? When I go from my XS1100F to my XS650 I think Holy sh*&^$!! whats with the vibrations?!!

Neutral being difficult to find at a dead stop is just the way it is. Make sure you have proper clutch adjustment and robust good parts. I either put bike in neutral as I am coasting to my stop OR.... stopped at idle in 1st gear with clutch pulled in I blip the throttle real quick like- not revving the crap out of it but a blip to just to get the RPMs to about 2700+/- 200 RPM or so and THEN REAL QUICK SNICK INTO TO NEAUTRAL. 3 4 tries and youll be a pro at it like me.

It is often easier to find neutral shifting down from second.
The distance between first and second is bigger than between the other gears. It has to be, It has an extra position in there.
As RG mentioned proper clutch adjustment is crucial. A well lubed cable and worm are crucial also. A well lubed clutch is easier to manipulate.
The XS650 clutch even while everything is perfect leaves some minor clutch drag. This is what effects ease of finding neutral and shifting. Improper adjustment increases this drag and makes things even harder.
In your repair manual the clutch adjustment procedures are correct. There are a few things that I do that eases the adjustment. At the point you loosen the lock nut and turn the adjuster screw I spin it back out a few turns and spin it in and out a few times to get a good feel for how much it takes to turn just the screw.
Now when, as the procedure calls for, you turn the screw in till you just feel resistance you will feel this increase much better. This is a critical part of the adjustment. Just as you feel resistance is when you have taken all the slack out of the mechanism between the adjuster and pressure plate.
At this point you need to add some free play back into this mechanism. The book calls for 1/4 turn back, I like 1/6 better. If you watch the nut as you are turning the screw 1/6th is one flat of the nut.
Now hold the screw from turning and snug the lock nut.
If you have this adjustment to tight the clutch can slip. Too loose and you won't open the pressure plate as much as it can. This leads to excessive clutch drag. Now adjust the lever to 1/16 to 1/8 inch free play. Again to tight it may slip. Too loose and not enough pressure plate movement.
Leo

"Huge distance between 1st and 2nd." Is it possible you are used to another bike and the XS650 just feels different? When I go from my XS1100F to my XS650 I think Holy sh*&^$!! whats with the vibrations?!!

Neutral being difficult to find at a dead stop is just the way it is. Make sure you have proper clutch adjustment and robust good parts. I either put bike in neutral as I am coasting to my stop OR.... stopped at idle in 1st gear with clutch pulled in I blip the throttle real quick like- not revving the crap out of it but a blip to just to get the RPMs to about 2700+/- 200 RPM or so and THEN REAL QUICK SNICK INTO TO NEAUTRAL. 3 4 tries and youll be a pro at it like me.

MHarrington , that is the best advice ive had so far on 650 trin to find neitral mine is same way but the bliptrick and now it's easy and more enjoyable to ride knowing i can find neutral tired of holdin clutch waitin for lights etc . timmo, T Harrington

Back