Hybrid xs650

Pandorasglocks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could not find any other posts about this anywhere on the net so this may be the first of its kind but here are some pictures of my xs650, which is now a hydrogen hybrid. I saw some hydrogen hybrid classic cars last summer but the units were so damn big! These are rather small in comparison as you will see in the photos. The company is called H2Hypod, you can see they're site at www.h2hypod.com .

Bike with covers on, cannot see the units:
rightsideh.jpg

By salchite at 2010-06-25

Ride side mounted:
righthypod.jpg

Left side mounted:
lefthypod.jpg

Instead of digging into the ignition switch(ya I know, lazy) I just put a fuse right on the battery and gave the units their own switch. Which also makes it easier to test how much these units are really doing:
hypodswitch.jpg

hypodwiring.jpg

The installation was a breeze really. The company gives you surgical graded tubing so I just started small and increased my drill bit sized incrementally until I could force the tube into the pod filter. You can see what I did with the wiring, just an inline fuse going to a radio shack switch and then to the units. For now I just have the units attached to the battery boot with some stronger zipties, ghetto I know. Then you just fill the units with a solution of distilled water and sodium hydroxide (the units come with plenty of the chemical). They provide the mixture ratios. All in all, about 1.5 hours install.

They reported that the units need refilling after about 5 hours of use, and after the initial fill you can use distilled water for several refills before having to add more of the chemical.

Initial Tests: On the same 30 mile ride, with an average cruising speed of 50:
Without the units: 40mpg
With the units: 47mpg

After 30 miles of in town without the units: 30 mpg
After 30 miles of in town with the units: 36 mpg
(In town driving is so hard to quantify though!)

Top speed without the units, 80-82mph. I could sit there for 10 mins with the throttle maxed in 4th gear without going above 80-82.
Top speed with the units, 90mpg. I hit 90 with at around 7k rpm in 4th gear but I need to do some more suspension upgrades before I'm comfortable going faster then that (Long overdue but just got my bronze swing arm bushings in!)

Concerns: My main concern is the strain on the battery. These things draw 4-5 amps a piece and I honestly have no clue what an average electrically stock xs650 can support. Some help with that would be nice. I'm going to inspect my brushes and do some cleaning around the rotor this weekend to try and help the charging system out. If two units is too much of a strain on the battery then I will just downgrade to one and split the tubing between the carbs.

Another concern is the sodium hydroxide, which is very very corrosive to aluminum. If you overfill the units, liquid can come out of the top and get sucked into the engine. At first I actually did this :doh: because what I wasn't told is that you should fill them while their on because they can displace as much as an inch of water! Luckily I only rode the bike to work and back (like .5 miles) when I realized they were overfilled. So I let them sit on, tubes disconnected, for about 3 hours before the water level got back into the sight glass. I doubt that such a small amount of the mixture, if anything, would damage the engine after .5 miles.

Overall:
These things are awesome so far, better gas mileage, hp, and topspeed for $100 a unit that runs off of distilled water? yes please. Unfortunately I was having engine problems before I installed these guys (See tappet misaligned thread) that makes me really nervous going on rides longer then like 20 miles. I want to do some full gas tank rides with these things on and off on the highway to get a really good comparison but that will have to wait.

Thoughts??

It should get 50 mpg anyway. I don't see how you can evaluate it if you have issues with it running well. But I'll look forward to seeing how it goes. Why so much current draw?

John

haha, well if you go to that website they can explain how everything works much better then I can. Or with some digging you can find other companies that make similar products. However, H2hypod's patent has the lowest energy draw and smallest units to date, making their smallest unit perfect for motorcycles.

If your interested in getting one I can pm you my friend's number (he is an executive in the company and currently their head of customer service) and he can go into the technology behind it in depth.

Hooktool: well I got the bike for $400 3 years ago (trust me $400 was a fair price), this is the first vehicle I have ever owned or done anything more then change to oil to. So far I'm about $1500 deep in parts and I have yet to touch the engine. I'm also in college so I can't afford to do everything I would like to do to it. I bought the bike to learn about engines and I've developed a passion for working with this machine. That being said, the bike has never gotten better then around 40 mpg, until now. Yes in a perfect world where I didn't go to school full time and worked 20 hours a week and had unlimited funds I could get the bike in tip top shape and then do the same tests. But for now I'll work with what I have, just wanted to share my experience with the H2hypod since it seems to be fairly unique. Perhaps someone with a bike in better shape would like to test one?

As to why so much current draw, idk, to be perfectly honest I don't even know how much that is in relation to what the bike can support(like I said this is my first project ever and I have no experience with electrical systems). But I can tell you that the unit, through electrolysis, creates hydrogen gas from the water. The chemical you add to the water is what allows electricity to pass through the water.

Very interesting. I read through the website, but was unclear if the engine is uning on only hydrogen or a blend of gasoline and hydrogen or alternates between burning hydrogen and gasoline.

I'd really like to know. Maybe your friend at the compoany could prepare a little more detail.

+1 on that. It's a water injection system. Been around for years. The company is just renaming it "hybrid", which it is absolutely not. Trying to make people feel good about being "green" while taking your money.

Very interesting read on the water injection stuff. However I was told that the unit actually produces H2 gas, not water vapor. Unlike water vapor, the gas actually combusts. But what do I know? I have felt the gas coming out of the unit and it is not at all hot (I would assume if it was steam it would burn). I guess a good test would be to gather a small amount of the gas and put a flame to it.
In the meantime,I will direct my friend to this thread and see if he can clear anything up.

I honestly have no clue what an average electrically stock xs650 can support. Some help with that would be nice.

I've been searching trying to find out this info myself because my bike will have substantially more draw than a standard bike.
If anyone has any info on this it would be greatly appreciated!

Sky

+1 on that. It's a water injection system. Been around for years. The company is just renaming it "hybrid", which it is absolutely not. Trying to make people feel good about being "green" while taking your money.

Hey guys. I've been working with this group for 3+ years now and I first of all want to thank everyone for their interest.

Secondly I want to respond by say that this is NOT a water injection system. H2HyPod products represent the current state of the art for on demand hydrogen production. Our hydrogen systems work with the fuels that you're already using by injecting a temperature controlled gas in with your regular air intake which helps break down your long chain fuel molecules in order to create a more complete, uniform burn across your pistons.

Hydrogen helps to clean the engine, eliminate the pollution, and allow you to travel farther on the same tank of fuel.

Check out some of our most recent dyno results for some more info.

Giving an informational write up about new technology going on the model of bike we all love is spam? I'm not here to sell anything, I just thought the fine folks at this board would appriciate hearing about my own experience.

If this type of post is against forum rules then I apologize now.

As for the electrical draw, H2HyPod processors are designed to operate with your vehicle. While the Minis (such as on the bike above) may run as high as 5-6 Amps each, typically motorcycles alternators can handle up to about 40 Amps.

As you step up into larger vehicles, the size of your HyPod and its accompanying electrical draw increase as well.

For instance, our introductory semi-sized HyPod Express can run as high as 40 amps, but larger vehicles, such as with F-350 Diesels on up, can handle that load!

However on my smaller 3.0 Liter V-6 Nissan pickup, I don't need to run anything in excess of 17-18 Amps in order to see as much as a 25% mileage gain.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of, finding the answers is what I do.

I have no intention of spamming anyone. We're all just here to learn and share, right? Hydrogen technology is exciting, but also seems to have a lot of misconceptions about it. I just want to help keep the story straight.

Thanks again for the interest!

While I appreciate the sense of humor displayed by the trolls lurking in this forum, for those interested in some actual science, here's the basic low-down:

While operating at any particular rpm your engine is spinning your alternator, which is creating an electrical reserve for your vehicle/bike to draw from (headlights, a/c, radio, etc.). We typically do not max out the electrical load for our vehicles, because most drivers don't have TV screens and all the various other electronic goodies available on the market today (if you do you probably have already beefed up your alternator anyway).

H2HyPod or any other company out there (and there are some good ones!) is basically going to add a brown's gas generator that is going to draw from that electrical reserve to use the electricity to break h20 into H+H+O, or more typically called HHO or Browns Gas.

The "trick" to making the whole thing scalable for everything from your ride-on lawnmower to your semi-truck/earth mover is being able to produce enough HHO at a low enough electrical tax that we're not creating an additional load on the vehicle.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion, and again, thanks for all of your interest an healthy skepticism. When was the last time a cynic changed the world for the better anyway?

Bridge; Hardly been used, you could put up a toll booth and make back what I am asking for it in two days. The kids haven't eaten and the landlord is going to kick us out tonight or I would never sell it. The line to get the free lunch is around the other side. Pandorasglocks I'll assume you are just gullible. GoHyPod is a different story. Show me controlled tests by an Independence agency. Heck I would be satisfied with Mythbusters. ?
Since you have the jive. Quote;
"Our hydrogen systems work with the fuels that you're already using by injecting a temperature controlled gas in with your regular air intake which helps break down your long chain fuel molecules in order to create a more complete, uniform burn across your pistons." end quote. Where are the tests that back it up?

Last edited:
Back