Hydraulic Clutch Conversion - Any Interest?

was only 1/2 joking but when it arrives will definitly do a visual before fitting to the 650.from the photos a bit of adaption doesnt look to hard to do.trouble is iv got another xs which might have to come first

Forget the PUNK's hydraulic system and use the Clutch slave from a Aprilia RSV1000 then you'll replace the worm gear parts with a direct push type system.

well alot of it comes down to cost.the wreckers/dismantlers in australia in general are a fairly greedy bunch plus we dont have the population of bike riders to find parts laying around for next to nothing hughs is definitly a easy cheaper way to solve a problem

Debating the different methods of actuating the clutch should be done in The Garage forum. This thread is for the HHB Hydraulic Clutch Conversion. Threads in the Shops section are treated a little differently since this forum is the classifieds section for commercial products. :cheers:

Got my HHB Hydraulic Clutch Conversion...Hugh shipped it super fast...looks great!!! Now I need to get it installed. Thanks Hugh, I'll be ordering more stuff in the future.

Thanks soo much for the support.. We are working on keeping these in stock, but they are selling more than I would have ever expected... Lots and lots of these ol' bikes on the roads!

Just installed the hydraulic clutch on my 76' and the install was smooth and easy. It really is an incredible upgrade for the money! Thank you Hugh for putting such forethought and effort into your products, it truly shows.

I'm about to go through instal 2.0. The first time I went through the install, I messed up pretty bad somewhere. The system was blocked somewhere, so I, in a moment of EXTREME:yikes: effort, I pulled the lever a little harder than I probably should have.
2012-04-22184213.jpg

2012-04-22184525.jpg

2012-04-22184455.jpg

2012-04-22185921.jpg

As you can see, I snapped the securing loop at the base of the lever.

This is where Hugh comes in. In case anyone out there yet has not had the pleasure to work with Hugh, you need to be aware that I have NEVER had as wonderful an experience with a product manufacturer as I have with Hugh.:thumbsup:

As soon as I emailed Hugh with my troubles, he sent me out a replacement. He didn't even wait to receive my broken return. Who does that???:confused:

Hugh, you frickin rock man!!!!

Trust me on this, the very first thing you need to do when you receive Hugh's kit is to grab a pair of pliers and pull the rod out of the slave. TRUST ME!

why pull the rod out??

Because, as fishhat prolly discovered, as did I, that, at least in my case, when I pulled the unit out of the box and depressed the lever it pumped like a brake lever would. I thought there was an obstruction in the line somewhere. Turns out they test the units before they ship them but don't necessarily pull the rod back out after testing. So once the lever is pulled the rod retracts into the slave and it's not going to move back out without a return mechanism. Hope that makes sense.

Who else out there has the totally awesome man-skills to fuck up this install twice? Me, that's who!!

I got the kit installed and running great. :thumbsup: I didn't want to cut or file anything down without a test, so I did a 15 mile round trip test drive. I came back and adjusted the lever a bit, which meant that I was pulling the lever in a bunch as I tried to get the feel perfect. After I got the feel right, the shit hit the fan. The bike began to lurch forward and stall when I disengaged the clutch. I assumed that I had air in the line, so I tried to bleed it.:banghead:

Bleeding it did not work out very well for me. I let the piston pop out too far. I continued bleeding it, until the piston popped out again. After this time, I couldn't get it to respond at all. I though that maybe I had let too much fluid escape, so I popped the master cylinder open and topped it off.

Still nothing. No pressure, and almost no movement in the piston.

I never knew that I was so special.

This is random but instead of filing the head of the lever bolt I just reversed it. That and aftermarket controls gave me the best clearance.

Who else out there has the totally awesome man-skills to fuck up this install twice? Me, that's who!!

I got the kit installed and running great. :thumbsup: I didn't want to cut or file anything down without a test, so I did a 15 mile round trip test drive. I came back and adjusted the lever a bit, which meant that I was pulling the lever in a bunch as I tried to get the feel perfect. After I got the feel right, the shit hit the fan. The bike began to lurch forward and stall when I disengaged the clutch. I assumed that I had air in the line, so I tried to bleed it.:banghead:

Bleeding it did not work out very well for me. I let the piston pop out too far. I continued bleeding it, until the piston popped out again. After this time, I couldn't get it to respond at all. I though :wtf:that maybe I had let too much fluid escape, so I popped the master cylinder open and topped it off.

Still nothing. No pressure, and almost no movement in the piston.

I never knew that I was so special.

Had some similar issues. You gotta the whole side cover when bleeding it. When its in place the clutch rod puts pressure on the slave rod and pulls the piston down in the slave. Sooo..take the cover off, bleed the system, top off the master, reinstall the cover, readjust the clutch, and you are good to go. So basically repeat the entire installation and you should b fine.

Posted via Mobile

Anyone using a different lever?

Posted via Mobile

I took a spare xs650 brake lever and replaced the HH one with it with a bolt to actuate the hydraulic piston. It won't snap back without the spring that comes with the small HH lever so I've experimented with a few things. It actually doesn't have to be a spring because the piston pushes the lever back out. You just need something to stop it from flopping out past your open fingers.

full

full

Back