Hydraulic Clutch Issue

:laugh:
Midol is a brand of an over-the-counter drug for menstrual cramping and other effects related to premenstrual syndrome and menstruation. :laugh:

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having really bizarre hydraulic clutch issues.

Suddenly my clutch isn't working right. I can shift gears fine but when I put on the throttle the bike doesn't move very fast and RPMs shoot up :wtf:

I grab at the clutch lever a few times and seems like the clutch is not disengaging like it should. It's almost like air is in the line or something but I pulled it off and it moves like normal. It's been great up until recently so I'm not sure what to think of it. The adjuster bolt was tight and not loose or anything. I've been messing with it all day but still having the issue. It seems like it's going to work perfect and then I get going and revs move instead of me moving :confused: :shrug:

Edit: More info.....

The bike won't go up a hill LOL :doh:

It will go fine on flat surface but a hill it crawls maybe 1 mph

I grab at clutch to see if that is problem but to no avail

Ideas? I think I'm going to put my cable clutch back on to see if that is the problem

If not I am thinking maybe bad clutch springs?

Last edited:
Welp, just thought I'd update.

Indeed it was the hydraulic clutch. I put my old cable clutch back on and with some adjusting works perfect. I actually feel like I get more power to the ground with my cable clutch :shrug:

I'm not really sure what to make of the hydraulic cable clutch. It's a nice novelty and all and does (did) function as advertised. I get lots of questions about it but with all the issues I've had (in the beginning and recently) I'm not quite sure it's worth the hassle. Neutral is a breeze to find but adjusted properly I don't have a problem finding neutral with my cable clutch either. The hydraulic lever is also actually harder to pull. Clutch control is much better than cable however. As far as using the adjustment screw, I've used it more with the hydraulic than I did before with the cable.

I've had mine for a year now and obviously the hose is leaking or something as it does not function as well as it did when I first got it. The parts that go into it don't seem like they would have much longevity, I mean I think the slave cylinder is meant for pit bikes :laugh: If your XS isn't a daily rider I can definitely see it as invaluable. But if you ride as much as me it seems to wear out pretty fast.

Don't get me wrong....I was happy with the purchase. But like they say if it ain't broke don't fix it and for my situation and my particular bike, think I should have left it alone. I am young and strong hands so it's not necessarily a must to have HC. This bike is my primary transport so I can't really afford to have issues like this coming up. As far as reliability goes other than snapping a cable with cable clutch you don't have to worry about leaks, reservoir, hoses, what not.

Back