Hydraulic clutch option possibility

just to let you guys know all metal eventually rust. So make sure you know what you are talking about before you do. I work on a railroad the train cars are made out of 401 stainless which is some of the best stuff and the cars have holes all over the place. there are all different type of grades of metal do some research.............

I think you need to do some research yourself. I've bought and sold well over a few Million pounds of scrap metal, I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about as I learned it the hard way by loosing my ass a few times more than I'd like to admit. I've even bought old rail cars. That said, I'm no expert but the following is established fact:

Rust is a form of oxidation that only takes place on ferrous metals.

All metals will oxidize but not all metals will rust.

Any grade of stainless will rust if said stainless remains in contact with regular steels or iron.

Only a small percentage of any railroad car would or could be made of 401 or any other grade of stainless. The only stainless rail cars I have seen are tankers and only the tank skins themselves are stainless.

Rust is pretty easily identified as it's usually a ruddy redish-brown color but in the presence of certain chemicals it will sometimes turn black.

Are you telling us the parts you bought from Hugh are ruddy redish-brown in color?

Or have you even bought Hugh's clutch parts?

I work on a railroad the train cars are made out of 401 stainless which is some of the best stuff and the cars have holes all over the place. there are all different type of grades of metal do some research.............

GB,
Interesting, I worked for Trinity Rail in OKC for awhile. We built from the frame up, new refrigerated cars. I can say (as a simple material handler unloading supplies from vendors) I NEVER saw stainless period. Saw alot of sheet metal for the roofs, floors and sides none was stainless. I don't think it would be a solid fiscal investment to use stainless. Especially considering the paint jobs they finished the cars with.
I also visited the repair station they had in Springfield, MO. Low boy cars for hauling spooled items(wire, cable, pipe and coil steel) never saw abit of stainless there either.
Now the fluid cars maybe different haven't seen any of those being built.

no i mean rust. No joking, i can scotch bright it right off but i'm not running it. I doing the conversion to the push style over the winter time.

If you bought a component from us that is rusting, it would be the first time I'm hearing of it... If you bought it from us, and are unhappy, we will stand by the product 100%

If you didn't buy from us, please clarify to that people aren't jumping to conclusions here..

GBGRIDER has been weighed measured and found wanting.

I actually have one of Hugh's clutch conversions and am quite happy with it. My only problem is I am one of the gorilla's that over tightened my master cylinder cap and cracked it. That one is on me though not his fault.

Wow... for someone to make a blanket statement about how something is a POS without even contacting the original seller of said product to discus the 'grievance'.

Come on, guys!! $40 for that unit?!? And you think it's worth it? How cheap can you be?

Anyhow, I WANT Hugh to make a PROFIT. He needs to make a profit. That's the only way for him to REALLY enjoy what he does and be sucessful. And if he really ENJOYS what he does, he will continue his R & D for this XS world we live in, here on this forum. Myself, I am VERY mechanically inclined and VERY crafty and creative. But the information Hugh has freely distributed here has saved me countless hours of research and certainly sparked lots of additional creativity. (And each of us here draws upon the other for knowledge and creativity... to save time and unnecessary experimental labor) The products and services he offers, I have found to be very reasonably priced, IMHO. And the free advice and how-to's all come with a 'smile' that exudes, as well.

My hat's off to Hugh, the little whipper-snapper; and I will coninue to seek him out as my first source for mods and rebuilds and such. Keep in mind, I'm not wealthy either. But I know the long-term value of a solid purchase!

My 2 cents worth.

Back