i am desperatly in need of help..pls..

peter zanko

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
newby here and pls bare with me,,,,,i have a very custom 87 xl,,and no signals at all,,none,,i have had to many close calls with hand signaling,,,,,so,,i have bought some turn signals and no way of wireing them,,,i have a flasher,,that has,,(x)an(L),,MY lights have 3 wires blue,,pupleish(maybe violet)and black,,these are phillip product lights,,,,,,,,,,PLS HELP ME,,i have 30plus hrs this week tryin to do this and cant,,,,,when this posts I will be back in garage,,,,guys,,,i have even put wife off this week,,and looks like weekend aswel(((if you know what im saying))):banghead:thank you

Hey Peter, welcome.

First of all, how custom is your bike? Specifically, do you have any controls for the turn signals? Could you show us exactly what turns signals and flasher you purchased?

I hear you on the wife thing. This is why I'm still single. Hahahaha

Ditto..would be good to see what you're working with to give you advise on wiring them up.

As to three wires on the turn signals, likely one is for running lights.

i do have a turn signal switch left an right on bar...however,,,,the harness is wacked,,,everything works on bike,,it is a Harley,,,,,again,,this was a custom build,,tail light head light speedo,,and that's it,,,NO SIGNAL WIREING AT ALL,,soon as i figure out site i will post a photo

Harley used a somewhat more sophisticated system than the XS650. Harley used a switch on each side, The XS650 used one switch.
A basic XS650 system, power went to the X on your flasher, from the L to the turn switch. From the turn switch to each sides signals.
Push the switch one way the right side flashes, push the other and the left flashes. The light flash until you move the switch back to center. The later years the added a self canceler.
On the Harley you pushed one button and it tripped a relay that started that side flashing. The other flashed the other side. A quick tap on the opposite side stopped the flash. I think they worked that way, the ones on my Harley work that way, Mine self cancel. I'm not sure on the early like yours.
You can get an aftermarket switch for one inch bars that works like the XS650 switch.
With this switch will make wiring easier.
Most any flasher will work with regular incandescent bulbs, LED bulbs require an LED compatible flasher.
Leo

Last edited:
Back