I cannot get right engine cover back on after clutch work.

I'm double damn sure I installed the kick starter perfect. Earlier today I did test clutch lever and it seemed to work okay. The clutch spring-screw doohickey did travel outward from the clutch plates about one to two millimeters. TwoMany seems to have a few good observations and I'll check over the clutch disengagement worm thingy and try readjusting the clutch lever.

Thanks. I'll get back to this tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it goes. And, maybe ask a few more questions. You think??

j.c.

Triple G: I don't know how, but my "double damn sure" reply was meant for another thread where I've been troubleshooting a clutch problem. It surprised me that your reply was so closely related. But I will shoot some photos and send them here also. :shrug: Thanks!

j.c.

I'm double damn sure I installed the kick starter perfect. Yesterday, before replacing the right cover, I did test clutch lever and observed the clutch spring-screw doohickey traveling outward from the clutch plates about five (?) millimeters. TwoMany seems to have a few good observations and I'll check over the clutch disengagement worm thingy and try readjusting the clutch lever.

Thanks. I'll get back to this Saturday afternoon and let you know how it goes. And, maybe ask a few more questions. You think??

I believe I've been sucked into that mystic, irresistible, insane society of folks who open XS650 engines up and lose all perspective about who they used to be. But think sanity is just under the next aluminum cover, held by a set of hex drive screws, many of which are stripped by someone known only as "the PO" (i.e. parole officer?). I'm ready for my ride ... into ... the Twilight Zone!

I appreciate your help, everyone! — j.c.

TwoManyXS1Bs , Growl , 5twins , I_am_Carbon , Champco :
Well, thanks folks! I was successful with two out of three of the problems
in this thread. The recap is the kick starter works great and tranny shifts very well
(see learning point below) but the electric start still is acting up!
Kick starter: Why doesn't it kick down or reset to be ready to kick down?
Clutch/Transmission: Does not go into gear?
These two problems had to do with the "clutch disengagement worm," as suggested by TwoManyXS1Bs. In my initial install of the new clutch cable, I ran the screw in way too far before locking the nut.
My learning point:
When adjusting the clutch disengagement worm, turn adjustment screw only until it just contacts the clutch push rod. Do NOT turn screw until you cannot turn it anymore.
Starter whine: What could the whining indicate?
I still have the starter issue where the starter very often whines and does not always "catch." When it does catch, it sounds/acts normal and starts just fine.

I replaced original starter gear #4 with MikesXS's gear and pinched spring in vise to get higher resistance to rotation. Using the fish-scale method as suggested by garyr, I only got it to 5 ft-lbs.
Where I would still appreciate some advice: 1) Is the problem still and only with the 4th starter gear and the keeper spring?
— OR —
2) Is it probably something besides the spring — maybe starter motor?

Thanks, everyone. — j.c. :bike:

The wishbone shaped drag clip or "spring" included in the Mikes kit is inferior, thinner wire and weaker holding power than an original. You might have better luck re-using your original clip (bent tight again of course).

Just so we are clear, the whine is the starter revving up because it didn't catch right? Not some it won't crank over, whine of weakness?

Wouldn't hurt to see a pic of the #4 gear area....

gggGary: I will only open if I have a plan of what I'm going to fix but not for photos. I'll post the pics once I open him up.

The battery is fully charged. Occasionally the electric starter works exactly as it should with every thing sounding and operating "normal." Most of the time (4 out of 5?), I push the starter button, it just spins (whines).

5twins: Are you saying my decription of the starter issue is MOST LIKELY the drag clip weakness? Thank you.

j.c.

I can't say with 100% certainty that the drag clip is the problem but most starter engagement problems associated with this bike are because of it. A badly worn gear can also cause problems but it has to be really worn and you say you replaced yours anyway. I can't say I trust the quality on any of those MikesXS starter parts, even the gear. Personally, I'd go with the original gear and re-tensioned original drag clip.

5twins quote: "Personally, I'd go with the original gear and re-tensioned original drag clip."

Thanks, 5twins! I think you're absolutely right. The re-try begins.

j.c.

Even once "fixed", these aren't the greatest starters. They'll still kick out occasionally if pushed really hard and cranked for long, long periods continuously. I try and use them in short bursts, like 2 to 3 seconds, let off, re-try. But the real "fix" is to get your bike into a good enough state of tune that hard starter use isn't required. Get it so it starts instantly, or near instantly, and you won't be stressing the starter much.

And if 4 or 5 starter attempts won't do it, I resort to the kicker. This isn't a really big battery and it doesn't have a large reserve. Run it down some and the starter may still crank, but there won't be enough "juice" left over to power the ignition.

Short bursts are good on these, they often start just when you release the starter, that extra available voltage can light the fire. My 61 chevy was the same way, it'd fire when you quit cranking.

Points, condensers. advance springs, and rod, ohm out coils and plug wires, caps.

5twins and gggGary: Thanks for extra tips. I've been riding my XS-SE for nearly 30 years. It's been like a 9-life cat — he ran and ran and ran. Only when he decided he was tired last summer did I understand just how much you guys know. And, in spite of the great bikes the XS650s are, no one outside of those who own and ride them wants to work on them. Thanks to you, and many others, once again!

WooHoooo.
j.c.

Back