i give up.....giving it back

All,

It's wonderful to be part of a community like this, where people try to help just because they appreciate what one another are doing.
To Pete in particular;
I've been interested in your systems for some time, and have to say that this act of kindness pushes me closer to making that move, knowing that you're really invested in helping fellow XS owners.
Everyone have a great 2011!

dld1

fer sure. I'll definately get one for my 80 come tax refund time. full price of course.

just want to say it again...i would have been so skrewed if pete didn't help me with all my electrical trouble last spring. i put a couple thousand miles on my 81H this summer and fall.
the pamco ignition performed mint-worth every penny! And all the free advice still boggles my mind.....best customer support ever!!!

Pay It Forward,,,,Nice!!! It's a good thing to help out a person in need and not looking for credit for the deed. I do it just for the feeling of gratitude for being able to help.:bike::bike::thumbsup::)

I had considered restoring the stock ignition syst on my motor.........I'm convinced to buy a Pamco now. My hat is off to you Sir.:thumbsup:

ok...so... heres what Ive done recently while waiting for Pete's system-
re-gapped the points- turn rotor ccw to take any slack outta the chain, then rotate the ign lobe so that the right points(upper ) the rub block is at the thickest or where the points would be open the most, set gap to .4.
rotate engine so that the left point rub block is at thickest point, set left (lower) points to .4 rotate engine a couple times to ensure gap it retained.
Then, I rotate the engine ccw so that the mark on the rotor is in between the 'lfl' marks, then loosen the large regular screws that secure the points plate, then eyeball the points to 'just' open in the lfl range, tighen down point plate, then rotate one revolution, and loosen the small screws that secure the left points to thee main plate, and eyeball that point to open 'just' in the lfl tighten mark.
Check for 12v at the battery, take out plugs, ground to fins, turn on ign, and kick a few times. nice big spark from new coils/wires. Put the plugs back in, gas on, wait a minute or so, choke, ign on, start kicking... couple pops, but no joy.
At this point i am lost. staring at a bike that should be idling before my eyes.
Trying to remember how i had it so that it would at least start, i remember it running best without the air filter on. I took one out, and tried to see light thru it. no light. Take a few pleats out, and looks dirty. no light thru even one section of pleat..
So, i take both out,figure Ive flooded the engine, i remove the plugs and clear out the cylinders, ensure spark at the plugs, put them back in, and try again. sputtered few times, sounded like it was trying, at least.
So, now I'm thinking the old, deteriorating filters probably dirtied up my carbs. going to increase the floats to 26mm
OH...boy. Cant wait to clean them AGAIN (thanks Gordon) and smell like gas for a week.
Pass me another case of carb cleaner, please.

Trying to time your points by eye is at best a guessing game. Use a light bulb or multimeterto set the timing.

Sorry, in your post you said you did it by eye.
The only thing I can think of at this point is maybe the coils are wired left to right. Try hooking the left plug wire on the right plug. right on the left.

tried that ,too. hadnt changed it from the last time it ran for a few minutes. Has plenty of spark.

pamcopete, got your ign today. I noticed the shipping was12.45. did you get enuf from my paypal? I'll get to it this weekend after I clean out the carbs again. I am positive the choke/start jet is clear. (or was the last time I cleaned them).
Thank you so much. It will be great for him to have a 'set and forget' ignition.

Back