I got nothin

sivarTi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brief history. I bought the bike, rode it for about a mile and that's it. 1980 650, I tore it down a bit to clean it up, removed the turn signals, tail light.... pretty much pulled everything back to the backbone of the bike. Nothin major obviously.

I started putting it all back together the other night and worked on it for a while today add a bit of searching and here I am.

I don't have any handlebars on the bike so all my controls are hanging loose. I don't have my rear turn signals wired yet but other than that everything is connected "as it was" I hope.

When I turn the key on I can get a neutral light, a running/brake light and thats it. No starting relay, not even a click. No headlight either. When I hit the turn signal I don't get the relays to make any noise or see any attempt to light the front signals. I'll have the rear turn sig's wired tomorrow. All my fuses have power on each side so I'm pretty much at a loss. Do the hand controls pick up a ground from the handlebars that I'm missing? Getting ticked, I didn't do much but I'm sure chasing my tail now.

PS, now horn either.

Yes, they all ground through the handlebars, so nothing is going to work. Why are you trying to run it without handlebars?

Yes, they ground through the handlebars. Why are you trying to run it without handlebars?

This is no joke, the bars that were on it when I got it were made from 1/2" galvanized water pipe, no kidding. When I pulled the throttle off there were still theads on it. Anyhow I pitched them and stuffed a broom stick in there to allow me to move it around and I haven't ordered or found bars I want yet. It occured to me today I may have created an issue. Pretty funny.

Look for some Honda CB750 bars on ebay. They fit perfectly and come in lots of styles over the years and are dirt cheap. I think I paid $12 for mine.

Look for some Honda CB750 bars on ebay. They fit perfectly and come in lots of styles over the years and are dirt cheap. I think I paid $12 for mine.

From what I can figure I want a 4" rise and a 4" pullback. Most the bike shops here in town don't stock anything but dirt bike bars although I may have found a shop that stocks road bike parts I'll go to tomorrow. Off topic but I'm looking for a source for cocktail shaker mufflers at a decent price. Doing a bike build for under 1K total is turning into more of a challenge that I thought it would. Thanks for the help.

Picked up some clubmans today local (new) but it was worth it. I brought them home and threw them on and sure enough I can turn the engine over now, even squirted some gas in the carbs and fired it up. Still no horn or signals but I didn't get the rears wired in yet although with the wiring schematic doesn't show me any reason why it that would hold them out. Also no headlight yet but hearing it run for the first time in 3 months helped my attitude a ton.

I'm still at it. I read that the turn signals won't work without at least 12 volts on them so I hooked my charger up and was around 14, still no signals or horn. I do have a tail light, brake light and neutral light. It will turn over and run. I have power on both sides of all my fuses. No power to the yellow at the headlights etc. Anyone have any ideas?

PS, it sounds like the safety relay keeps the headlight off until there is power from the alternator, seems reasonable. Is the same true for the turn signals? Should I ditch these issues and go back to making it run first and worry about both issues if they don't work once running???

Anyone have any ideas?

Just trace it down. For the signals, inside the switch there are three solder joints in three little cups that are always loose. Usually signals won't work consistently until they;re resoldered. The can look good but still be bad.

Just trace it down. For the signals, inside the switch there are three solder joints in three little cups that are always loose. Usually signals won't work consistently until they;re resoldered. The can look good but still be bad.

Trace it down while it's running or will they work with the key on as long as there is over 12vdc

The taillight comes on with just the switch. The headlight comes on when it starts. The signals work best when it's running, because the voltage is higher, but will sometimes work when the key is just on. So trace whatever you're working on when the bike is in the state where that thing should be working :)

Those were some of the unknowns when I started this thread. Having only rode the bike once when I bought it I didn't remember if the headlight was on with the switch or just on while running. Got it now, same as the signals. Thanks for the help, I'll dive into the flashers tomorrow. I also just found that the 3w indicator bulb needs to be working so I'll look into it tomorrow too.

I noticed that if the rear flasher bulb is burned out or etc, the whole side won't work. Wouldn't surprise me if the indicator bulb has to be good too.

Back