Self Cancelling Turn Signals

Wilsonsk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The turn signal pilots are way down by the handlebar clamps on my 76 XS650, not anywhere near my line of sight. I am a firm believer in making sure I let other drivers know what I'm doing. I'm not great about habitually cancelling my signals and the pilots don't catch my attention so I wind up driving around with my signal on quite a bit. What solutions are out there for auto cancelling? I'd be find with a timer that shut them off. I worked with various 1 shot timers and time delay relays at work years ago, everything we used there was lab grade stuff and still expensive but I am finding some stuff on ebay. I ordered one that is variable from 2-100 seconds, will turn on the power output when power is applied to the input, and will time out and shut off the output when the set time runs out even if the power is still applied to the input. This sounds like it should work ahead of the flasher, it's not expensive so worth a try. I've considered a beeper as well.

What are other folks doing?

I too have a ‘76 and I have the same issue. I’d love to see how this works for you.

Hand signals.

They auto cancel and are much more visible.
I don't mind using hand signals, but we have LOTS of ATV/UTV traffic in town here, a lot of them use hand signals but an arm really blends in with all of buildings and other things in town, don't really notice most of them if you aren't looking right at them. Doesn't catch your attention like a flashing light.

Modern drivers don’t know hand signals. To some, left had out means pass me.
Great point as well, this is also farm country, farmers have all kinds of appendages hanging out of vehicles all of the time. At least with a tractor, they just have every light flashing all of the time so you have no idea what they are going to do, keeps you on your toes. Unfortunately, other drivers don't watch out for motorcycles like a hawk to see what they are going to do, unlike tractors that can kill them.

My rear turn signal are red and are also brake lights.

Last edited:
Self cancelling should be at the turn signal switch - cancelled with your thumb after you've turned. Problem solved......unless I'm missing something.

I deactivated the (reed?) sensor in the speedo when I found it self cancelling the turn signal before I turned. I don't know how many revolutions the tire makes until they're turned off but sometimes you need a good stretch to make sure that those behind you know your intent, and I don't need to be watching the clocks turn indicator to make sure it's still flashing.

Hand signals..... there are now a couple/few generations since turn signals in automobiles were an option, they don't know what they mean and like mentioned might assume it means "pass", I've heard of instances.

Self cancelling should be at the turn signal switch - cancelled with your thumb after you've turned. Problem solved......unless I'm missing something.

I deactivated the (reed?) sensor in the speedo when I found it self cancelling the turn signal before I turned. I don't know how many revolutions the tire makes until they're turned off but sometimes you need a good stretch to make sure that those behind you know your intent, and I don't need to be watching the clocks turn indicator to make sure it's still flashing.

Hand signals..... there are now a couple/few generations since turn signals in automobiles were an option, they don't know what they mean and like mentioned might assume it means "pass", I've heard of instances.
I get that, "Self cancelling should be at the turn signal switch - cancelled with your thumb after you've turned. Problem solved......unless I'm missing something.", the problem is, I'm not good at remembering that and with this bike, the indicator isn't in my field of view so that doesn't remind me. The last bike I had for several years, a Sportster, had auto cancelling turn signals that worked really well. I guess I'm spoiled as well, even my 1941 Ford has auto cancelling turn signals. I asked the question here because I can admit all that about myself and want to do something to resolve this situation, we have the technology to do that. I'll figure it out.

Use a 10 second time delay relay? 15 bucks at Amazon. Would be pretty easy to wire it in.

https://www.amazon.com/Time-Delay-R...37-3922e01b7ba2&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

1691097291077.png

Self canceling feature didn’t arrive until 1977. Even so I’ve wired in a pulsing and flashing stoplight circuit, I may just try Jim’s solution or at least look into that option.

Self canceling feature didn’t arrive until 1977. Even so I’ve wired in a pulsing and flashing stoplight circuit, I may just try Jim’s solution or at least look into that option.
The only hurdle off the top of my head is keeping it flashing while you’re stopped at a light.

My only hurdle is being spoiled by real self canceling flashers on my newer bikes.

My only hurdle is being spoiled by real self canceling flashers on my newer bikes.
All you need to do is wire is some accelerometers and a computer. Then Bob’s your uncle!

The OE cancel function works pretty well on the later XS series bikes. Sometimes I start it too soon at it will shut off before I turn.

The new bikes will spoil you, but they won’t be around in 40-50 years like these are.

Used to have the same problem with my special. Sometimes the auto off would work and othertimes not. Found the dash light didn't alert me either and the special one is level with the top of the gauges.

Problem I see with a timer is if you caught in stop go traffick and the timer runs out.

Self cancelling should be at the turn signal switch - cancelled with your thumb after you've turned.
That's the system used on the Orange Peril's simplified wiring. But there's a redundant idiot light console sitting between the tacho and speedo and I really must get around to adding back in just one tiny element of complexity - make the turn signal warning flash. Should eliminate forgetting to cancel . . .

Back