I have some questions about my st tracker project

You should be able to keep the cam chain, if you remove the cam bearings by sliding them out of the saddles in the head the cam will drop low enough that you don't have to cut a link. The tensioner and guide need to be replaced while everything is down, the head has to come off to do it which brings us back to not wanting to do it twice. :)

If you have the head off, I would change out the front cam chain guide, age as much as wear requires that. The tensioner guide seldom needs replacing. Spend the money to replace the cam chain.
22,000 miles the chain needs replacing anyway.
Replace the valve seals, lap the valves. A cleanup of the casting marks in the intake and exhaust ports. Don't enlarge or chagne the shape just remove the casting marks.
Replace the stock valve adjusters with the Porsche elephant foot adjusters. Needs mods to the rocker arm but well worth the effort. Makes easier adjustment and valves run quieter.
Personally I would do Mike's 750 kit as well. Runs stronger with much less vibes above 4000 rpms.
Leo
One more thing, the Harley Muffler clamps are the best on the market. To bad they only make them in 1 3/4 inch size. The only ones I found that work. Especially when useing a 1 3/4 inch muff on a 1.5 inch pipe. The adapter shims just don't seal with any other clamp.
Leo

Back