I just bought a Harley

Since I ride a Sportster, I get the distinct honor of being bashed by the Harley guys AND the metric riders. No worries, as I like my bike. But I have to admit, I have a 1978 XS650 Special that I like every bit as much as the Sportster. As soon as I get a better camera (and learn how to use it) I will post pictures of the 78 Special. And cpotts454, hope you don't mind, but I think I am going to copy your Roadking's paint scheme and emblems. I really like the black and white, and that style of tank emblems made their first appearance on this earth the same year I did.

Attachments

• spring fever.jpg
    spring fever.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 136
cretinxs81 - sweet ride. I love silver/grey on autos. It always look clean! I like the front fairing too. Kind of a miniature version of the large batwings?

Travis - I actually bought the bike from the second owner, which is why I got such a good deal.. He really didnt know what he had... He had the bike for 4 years and only rode it 3500 miles. If I had to guess the paint alone on it is outstanding... Id say at least 2 grand from a pro... not real sure on what engine work has been done but, like I said the mechanic said that the bike had to of had some performance upgrades.... but I sat down and added up the chrome parts to be around $1500 in chrome. So if the bike was 17k new, it would probably be around 20k plus any engine work that was done. Now if you asked me if thats overpriced.. I would say hell yes. The only reason I own it was because I got a good deal... I cant even say that I wanted to buy American, because I've read that the majority of a Harley is only assemble here.

Hell no Danno! Its a great look! And I cant even take credit for it. The only thing I dont like about the black white scheme is it looks similar to cop cars.... and I am a professional firemen, so I am getting bashed at work for it. lol.

Ha! Never thought about it looking like a "cop bike". Just add lights and a siren and ride as fast as you like! With all the tickets I got when I was younger, I am surprised the black and white combo appeals to me as much as it does. You gotta get a donut holder for that puppy!

Nice lookin Road King. Glad you like it. Personally, I love Harley's and most anything on 2 wheels. As for the other BS, I find it funny every time a Ducati rider tries to bash on Harley's for being over priced POS's. You can claim "comfort", "insane speed" "perfect handling" etc.....(flawless reliability? spare me I currently own a Duc and have roadraced them for years....I KNOW better) but the fact is that you could have gotten a superior japanese bike for 1/2 the cost, better reliability, and a larger dealer network. Given those facts, why choose a Duc over a GSXR1K? I know the answer and it is the same reason some guys choose Harley's over metrics. BTW, I would also like to see pics of this "free" panhead chop alongside the 1198S. Variety sure is interesting when it comes to 2 wheeled excess.

Very well said. Thanks! you put into words exactly what I wanted to say. I am not going to hold my breath waiting on the photo of the Pan along side the Duc. It kind of feels like someone is trying to blow smoke up me ass!

cpotts454- I would be cautious of the indys suggestion of using gear drive cams. I am a big fan of using them.But, There are things that need to be checked prior to going with the gear drives. Most importantly the pinion shaft runout must be checked and confirmed. That many miles I would guess is going to be out of specs for using a gear setup. Also the gear drives are twice a$ much as the chain cam$. You also will have the addition labor costs of pressing out the old bearings and pressing the gears on to the cams, etc. These gears are really not needed. And are mostly to increase peak performance. If your just going to cruise this bike I would look into getting the updated cam support plate with new style oil pump and hydralicly adjusted chains from Harley. You can get pHD parts at 20-25% off online at places like Chicago HD or Zarnottis HD. I pm'ed you my number if you have questions.

And again, the point is completely missed. :banghead: It isn't the bike I have problems with. It's the attitude of the riders. Why pretend that the Harley is some sort of unicorn? It isn't some magical, mythical creature; you can get the same ride, feel and performance from any of the other big, bulky cruisers out there. (The 2009 Stratoliner S delivers a max 123ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPMs, just for comparison.)

Funny thing about my Ducati; you won't ever here me claim it's better than a Japanese bike. Gixxers are incredible, no argument from me. I bought it because I've wanted one since I was a kid; I loved the look and I loved the sound (that you can't get anywhere else). The same reason many people buy Harleys, but I don't have the attitude that Ducatis are the end all and be all of the motorcycle world. :thumbsup:

However, it IS a modern bike that IS insanely fast and handles perfectly. Any arguments there?

My 1198 is all of the things I've said, although it's just over a year old with not quite 5k on the clock. I have a couple of friends who also own Ducatis (different models) and never had any problems with them over the years. In my experience they are incredibly reliable. If they suck so bad, why still own one after all the bad experiences racing them? :D

As far as "proving" to you that I own my bikes:

A. I'm not 12 years old. :thumbsup:
B. I don't care if you believe me or not.

I have no ego to get caught up in this. I can't be goaded or prodded. I don't care what you think beyond the limited entertainment of this discussion. I don't really care about the subject matter, beyond the fact that I disagree with your attitude "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand." What a snotty, exclusionist douche-baggish attitude to lay on someone who just asked a simple question. [EDIT: stated his honest opinion, which these kinds of posts are asking for.]

Again, the difference: you get on your Gixxer and I'll get on my Duke, and we both understand the exact same thing. Two wheels at unreal speed in the twisties. You get on ANY big V-twin, no matter who makes it, and you understand the same thing. Highway cruising on two wheels with a big, rumbling hunk of iron between your knees. :bike:

As far as the cost of Harleys being excessive, I think that would be obvious due to Harleys increasing financial woes. Almost $80 a share in 2007, down to $11 a share in 2009. The only reason they're at $30+ a share now is due to their $600m bailout (non-government - at a whopping 15% interest, about double what it should be.) This, amongst the Buell line drop and continued layoffs. Imagine that. :laugh:

However, they do seem to have started getting the message, since they're making some effort to keep prices down.

2000 RKC MSRP - $16,490
2010 RKC MSRP - $17, 900

2000 XL 883C Custom - MSRP $6,595
2010 XL 883 Low - MSRP $6,999

Although for the reduced cost of the the "Low" model, you get cast wheels. Spokers are another $460, and any color other than black is another $290. Seriously?

The Japanese bike makers are putting the hurt on them, with no one to bail them out. I wonder why?

I was going to say something else, but I wanted to keep this short. :wink2:

Last edited:
My 1198 is all of the things I've said, although it's just over a year old with not quite 5k on the clock. I have a couple of friends who also own Ducatis (different models) and never had any problems with them over the years. In my experience they are incredibly reliable. If they suck so bad, why still own one after all the bad experiences racing them? :D

I never said they suck, much less that they suck so "bad". I pointed out the inaccuracies of your testament about their "flawless reliability". Not that you would have any clue really since 5K miles is hardly enough miles on a machine to claim "flawless reliability"

As far as "proving" to you that I own my bikes:

A. I'm not 12 years old. :thumbsup:
B. I don't care if you believe me or not.

I just happen like to Harley's and Ducati's and I always find it interesting to see modern technology alongside such an antiquated machine. I have 1978 HD Shovelhead chopper that shares the same garage space with my race Duc. Well, alongside my 2004 Springer Softail, my 2007 Street glide, and a Yamaha Maxim chopper I built last summer. Wanna see a pic?

I have no ego to get caught up in this. I can't be goaded or prodded. I don't care what you think beyond the limited entertainment of this discussion. I don't really care about the subject matter, beyond the fact that I disagree with your attitude "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand." What a snotty, exclusionist douche-baggish attitude to lay on someone who just asked a simple question.

But when someone says "I don't get the Harley thing at all" that's somehow different? Coming from a Ducati rider? Seriously?

Ummm, I never said that. You're quoting from someone else. I said they were over-priced. Get your shit straight, son.

And it is different. He doesn't get it. So? What is in that statement? It's an honest and straightforward response with the qualifier that "I'm glad you are loving the bike!" Yeah, that is totally the same thing.

I never said you did. I merely pointed out your idiotic hypocrisy to call out the HD rider for stating "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand" but you didn't bother to comment when the metric rider said "I don't get the Harley thing at all".

No hypocrisy at all. I don't think curt698 was being snide in his statement, I think he honestly doesn't get it.

Instead of saying, "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand", how about "Man, if you felt 100ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPMs, you would totally get it!" Or, "700lbs and 1500cc's, with sequential port fuel injection and belt drive, the ride is unbelievably smooth and the raw horsepower is incredible."

How about putting in ten or fifteen words of effort to help some young dude try to get it, rather than a verbal crack in the teeth? But then, that's exactly my point. Harley riders assume that metric riders are inferior, and couldn't get it if they tried.

Btw madav8tr, the "t" in your name is superfluous, since it is already in the "8". Just one idiot calling another out. You understand.

No hypocrisy at all. I don't think curt698 was being snide in his statement, I think he honestly doesn't get it.

Instead of saying, "if we have to explain, you wouldn't understand", how about "Man, if you felt 100ft/lbs of torque at 2500 RPMs, you would totally get it!" Or, "700lbs and 1500cc's, with sequential port fuel injection and belt drive, the ride is unbelievably smooth and the raw horsepower is incredible."

How about putting in ten or fifteen words of effort to help some young dude try to get it, rather than a verbal crack in the teeth? But then, that's exactly my point. Harley riders assume that metric riders are inferior, and couldn't get it if they tried.

Btw madav8tr, the "t" in your name is superfluous, since it is already in the "8". Just one idiot calling another out. You understand.
:smoke:
Sorry I didnt put it in kind sensitive words for ya fella. You obviously has a huge point to prove. Wheres my popcorn. " word to the wise" :doh:
madav8tr- Post up some pictures of the Maxim chopper if you have any please. Also I love the panhead. Anyone that has panhead pictures, I would love to see them.

And yet you keep on posting... :laugh:

Not kind and sensitive, how about just plain old "civil" or "decent" or "non-asshole-ish"? Any of those would be only what is expected by yourself, I would imagine.

Actually, I'm not expecting you to get my point at all. After all, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. It's a frontal lobe thing.

And yet you keep on posting... :laugh:

Not kind and sensitive, how about just plain old "civil" or "decent" or "non-asshole-ish"? Any of those would be only what is expected by yourself, I would imagine.

Actually, I'm not expecting you to get my point at all. After all, if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. It's a frontal lobe thing.

Understand what? Your gonna need to get up pretty early fella. Your point is moot with me. If its got tits or wheels I'll give it a ride. Hate train is leaving the station. By the way I wasent impressed with my 03 Monster. It was ok. Just everything never worked all the time. Not to mention it pukes oil all over the place when your riding wheelies. What state you in? Sounds like we need to have a face to face:smoke:
You must be bored as hell at work too!

Nah, more like you simply being an asshat. The "t" is in there because when I created this screename 11 years ago, madav8r was already taken. I could have changed it when I registered here to make it more appealing to any simple minded people but hey, I don't wanna spoil your fun.

Joe, here is a pic of the Maxim "Chobber" I built. I actually traded it to a buddy a couple months back for a sportster but it is in the picture with my other bikes so I thought I would mention it:).

Here is the Yamaha
chobber.jpg

And here is the bobber I built from the SportsterI traded it for. That's my shovelhead chopper in the background.
Sporty chopper-2.jpg

Joe,

I work from home. I just finished a project I've been working on for the past few months and sold it a few days ago. I'm liquid for a good bit, so I'm sitting here tooling the leather for my seat and laughing at this shit.

New Hampshire. Titty bar down the block. Come on up for a visit. After we get shit settled, I'll buy the first round.

madav8Tr,

No shit I was being an asshat. Uh, that was kind of the whole point. Like you weren't? I still got you to explain though, didn't I? :laugh:

Nice looking shovelhead.

SWEET maxum/maxim. What year? Are the wheels and tank stock? Are all your bikes rigid? Does your back hurt?

Teebs, you didnt use to be a Masshole? I am native Masshole. (now ya know were I got it) Spent 25 years up there in hell.

Joe, the Maxim is a 1982 and the wheels are stock but the tank is modified tank from 2000 Honda Shadow VLX 600. As for my bikes, nah, they aren't all rigids. I have a 2004 Springer Softail and a 2007 Street Glide for the times when I want a little more comfort :). When it comes to hardtails, I like them a lot and I am hopeful to finish up my XS650 hardtail bobber in the next month. It doesn't bother my back either and I actually enjoy the ride but when it comes to hardtails, it's all about style anyway.

Back