I know.... it's a dead horse.....

katmol

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
But I need to order new tires and I want to upgrade to wider but don't want to go to far and they not fit. Anybody running 120 or 130 on the rear and 100 on the front? ('75 XS650 bone stock no mods.)

Going wider is not really an upgrade. These wheels are a bit narrow for the stock sizes by today's standards.
On the front a 110 is about the widest that works well. It will slow turn in some. The 100 is quicker. 90 is closer to stock size.
On the rear some 120's fit with out rubbing. Some don't. Again the bigger tire slows turn in. The 110 is quicker. 100 is closer to stock size.
Leo

I run a 100 on the front and a 110 on the rear. They work very well. My bike came with a 120 on the rear. It was a real pig. I used it up then switched to the proper 110. World of difference. The bike rides and handles much better.

As a data point I am running 110/80/18s front and rear with THREE INCH wide rims. Up from the stock 1.85 and 2.15 rims. Along with other suspension upgrades this seems to be a reasonable set up. Bike corners quite well, tracks better, loses a bit of the stock twitchyness. I have bought XS650's with oversize tires on stock rims, they sucked and I took them off. Like above, a 100 front on a 2.15 rim is pretty good.

Attachments

• resto spacers 001.JPG
    resto spacers 001.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 154
  • resto-mods 009.JPG
    resto-mods 009.JPG
    194.2 KB · Views: 146
  • resto mod front wheel 003.JPG
    resto mod front wheel 003.JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 159
Thanks Leo, that's the info I needed.
So I think I'm going with 100/90-19 front and 120/90-19 rear.
Anybody had any experience with the IRC Durotour RS-310 tires?

Going wider is not really an upgrade. These wheels are a bit narrow for the stock sizes by today's standards.
On the front a 110 is about the widest that works well. It will slow turn in some. The 100 is quicker. 90 is closer to stock size.
On the rear some 120's fit with out rubbing. Some don't. Again the bigger tire slows turn in. The 110 is quicker. 100 is closer to stock size.
Leo

19" rear may be too tall. I recall someone having issues with that, but maybe they were also going with a wider tire too, and it was hitting the swing arm?

I've been buying strictly Shinko tires. I like every aspect of the buying, delivery and the quality of the tires. I buy them from Chaparral on ebay, I'm paying about $50 - $69 per tire, free shipping, they are drop shipped from a Shinko warehouse less than 50 miles from me, I'm getting them next day or 2 days later. One big plus.......every tire has been around 3 months from manufacture according to the DOT code. I buy the 230 TourMasters when possible because of the higher load rating, or the 712's. The Shinkos are just a bit bigger than other brands of the same size. I believe the quality and handling are very comparable to the Bridgestone Spitfires. Better than the Bridgestones since I had a rash of bad Spitfires a while back with deep sidewall cracks with less than 2 years from DOT date. I just bought stock size 712s for my bobber, knowing that these run bigger than others, haven't mounted them yet. A rear Shinko 110/90-18 is probably real close to 120 in other brands. $50.88 per tire, hey, these ARE NOT hard compound cheap tires.

Scott

Last edited:
Back