I wanted a Green Monster Coil dammit

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
Ok so I ordered the $170.00 Pamco kit from MikesXS with the "Green Monster" coil.

I got what appears to be a nice Pamco ignition with an "Ultimate" coil.

I'm sure the "Ultimate" coil will work ok on my '79, but why does MikesXS supply a coil that is listed separately for $69.00 in place of a coil that is listed separately for $76.00?

And the $170.00 Pamco kit is no longer listed on their site.

I mean just put a note in the box about the substitution and $7.00 please.

Or whatever.:confused:

Also the plug wire connections to the coil and the caps are just the screw in type....is this standard nowadays? I want some race quality crap not rice quality crap.

I think Pamcopete actually got better fuel economy when using the Ultimate coil, and I think the ultimate coil puts out more volts. Could be wrong. I don't much like substitutions myself either.

Yeah...I noticed the $170 kit vanished also.

Were the spark plugs included with your $170 green monster kit? I don't remember if they were or not even though I was considering that kit versus the Ultimate kit that came with the black one and the plugs. Memory is going. (Wound up ordering the Ultimate kit this weekend).

It happened to me too in Feb. Last time I looked at Mike's site, both coils were listed for the same price. While the "Ultimate" coil looks to be a touch bigger than the Green coil, and it does have the screw in wires, I look at it as an oppertunity to use any iggy wire I want. With the screw in wire holders it holds the wires in very well. I've put 1000-1200 miles on mine since Feb-March till now and they are just as tight now as the day they were installed. And the rubber grommet in there keeps it waterproof.

Back