Ideal garage proportions

Thanks for all the replies. I am limited to 100 square feet unless I go get a permit, which is not the end of the world. I like the idea of a substantial storage loft, though. A permit would require inspectors poking around, but more importantly, a much more substantial floor than I want to invest in. Yards of concrete for a floating slab, or digging down 4 feet for footings, that sort of thing, when all I want is a three season hobby shop, built on deck blocks or 6 x 6 skids.

Hi Lakeview: Yup - I would either look into the multiple building idea as suggested by QL - or - simply bite the bullet and get a danged permit.

There is nothing worse than being in a cramped shop - unable to do what you want to do. I've seen your last shop and you have a great collection of excellent stuff - but you DO need a place to work on it. I will happily come and help with the wiring and plumbing.

Pete

How 'bout a 4' x 25' building.

With a 20' door.

BigDoor.jpg

you might consider getting 3-4 wooden office filing cabinets on castors to use as mobile storage so that they can be stored under your workbench out of the way and can be pulled out as a movable storage or mobile workbench when placed together.

If you built a timber decking area outside the workshop you use a wide lift up and out garage door like 2Ms which you would make a great a rain and sun cover to an external decked area where you could work on your bike outside the shed on dry days.

Last edited:
The bldg inspector said that the structure was measured on roof print rather than wall perimeter so that precludes a big covered deck.
I had searched a few phrases for this question, but none as succinct or accurate as 2M produced, thanks.
The house is sitting on an acre with about 250 frontage and 325 down the side, the other side is a "Government Drain" going diagonal for a 3 sided property. I have about a 60 foot side yard which is occupied now with two "water features" which have got to go - an ugly 27' above ground pool which has a 15 Amp feed to it already. Just off to one side is a hot tub with a 50 Amp feed going to it, so in my mind it is the ideal spot for for a 24 by 40 or so work shop/storage/etc. Given that that part of the frontage has a spare culvert already in the ditch, I think I would be wasting potential not to go big. But before I make any plans, I have to sell my house on the far outskirts of Toronto and hope the price crazyness from the City has spread out there. Had an open house on Saturday when all the neighbours came through and 2 showings since then. Down here we are still waiting for the gas fitter to come and bring the propane to the stove and the dryer.
Looks like a 10 by 10 may not be in the cards after all.

Attachments

• SAM_5410.JPG
    SAM_5410.JPG
    253.9 KB · Views: 132
Nice spot Lakeview!
Go big or go home!

I have a client who built a dream shop.
3 bays wide X 2 bays deep.
He rebuilds 70's Chevelle's and Beaumonts.
The front 3 bays are for his auto work. One grease pit, one hoist, one flat slab.
One of the rear bays is a dedicated, well equipped woodworking shop, one is his again well equipped machine / welding shop, and the other is his electronics shop with a dedicated paint area with a blast proof fan.
Talk about the ultimate man cave!

I would very much like a 24'x40' pole barn with 8' ceiling and designated partitions. I worked in a body shop that was not much bigger than a two car garage, there was only one garage door. You'd be surprised how many cars can be crammed in using floor jacks for dollies.

Scott

We too have a 200 square foot limit wo a permitin our town. I got a 12'X16' tuff shed. I got the extra foot walls and 2 skylights on the south faceing roof. I also put horizontal 2X6 beams to make shelf space. I cut a hole in the wall for a window air conditioner. Right now I have 2 extention cords(on seperate breakers) for lights, tools and the A/C. One day I will run power to my shed. I'm working on a KZ project in there. It's tight with a Shopsmith, workshop library(Home repairs, aircooled VW manuals,motorcycle manuals, magazines and who knows what) Toolboxes and shelves of parts, cabinats and other Stuff. Almost forgot the work table with heavy duty Chiness vise. It's my Mancave, Sancuary, workshop.

I've tried the various "tarp, tent, gazebo, awning" products. Several times.

They all seem to be wind magnets.

Never had one last more than 2 months...

Hi lakeview,
as I understand it, your problem isn't getting planning permission per se,
it's that the inspection Nazis will insist on poured concrete footings and floorslabs and building to code and all manner of money-squandering things
while all you want is somewhere out of the rain to fix bikes in. And 100 sq. ft. ain't big enough to swing a cat in, let alone fix a bike.
Here's the magic phrase:- TEMPORARY STRUCTURE.
Don't need no steenkin' permits for one of those, eh?
Build it as big as is needful and just sturdy enough that it won't blow away.

I'm thinking a 53' trailer ought to do it! A reefer for the A/C, noice!
Hi queenslegs,
yeah, a 53' trailer has 400+ sq ft of floor even if some of that area is up on the kicker.
I got a trucker buddy who's acreage has a fair shitload of those in it to hide his bikes in.
but those trailer floors are perhaps 4' off the ground.
Unless lakeview has a front end loader to lift stuff in and out his trailer needs to be one
that has a hydraulic lifting tail gate.

Steel sheds suck. They sweat and hold moisture and everything rusts at light speed. That's where I found my 650. The shed was rusted out on one side, exposing the 650 so I could see it from the road. I stopped to see what kind of bike it was. The shed was full of steel tools and everything was the color of thick rust. The bike was almost falling over because the center stand had been rusting away on the bottom.

Steel sided buildings will sweat and hold moisture too if they aren't insulated. Celotex used to be used on steel sided pole barns to stop this problem, I think OSB is used now.

Scott

Last edited:
That is good to know about the steel shed, as there is a persistent advertiser in Canada with the quonset type steel structures amd I at various times considered them.

That is good to know about the steel shed, as there is a persistent advertiser in Canada with the quonset type steel structures amd I at various times considered them.

It would be good to ask the steel structure dealer what their solution is for condensation in those buildings. They must or should have an insulation and or ventilation system to help with the condensation.

Scott

Ah, yes! A 'toy hauler' indeed! It gives you shop space, it has a kitchen and a bathroom (you know how it is with old people, you can't work far from a bathroom), it can be used as a means of transporting one or more motorcycles to distant events, and it can be used as a retreat from the old lady. Additional bonuses: like TwoMany said, usually not included in real estate taxes and ordinances, and a good used one will probably cost you less than a traditional stick-built garage, once you're done with permits, concrete, other materials, etc., and you could have it in a flash.
If that's too much, maybe a car hauler-type trailer will suffice...

Back