Ignition Question?

wacko

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Ok I feel like an idiot asking this. I have been under the impression I have points in my 79 xs650. Today I found some paperwork from the guy I bought the bike from which included a list of upgrades he had made. One of the items on the list is an electronic ignition. Here is a couple pics of what is on the bike. Is this points or electronic ignition?

Thanks

they are points, but it doesn't mean they are still hooked up. If he upgraded he likely just left the old parts in place, because you do not need to remove them to run a stock TCI.

There is also another possible explanation. In the 70s and 80s you could get "electronic" ignitions controlled by points. These used the points to switch a very small control/signal current, and the actual switching of the coil primary current was done by some semiconductor inside the "black box". I guess this made the points last longer, and possibly saved the coils if the ignition was left on with the engine stopped.

This type of setup sort of resembles a light switch controlling a headlight relay. Lower current through the switch.

If you have any kind of "black box" connected to your coils or breaker points, then you have this kind of "electronic" ignition.

I don't have anything else hooked up so I guess points is what I have. Thanks for the replies.

Follow the wires coming out of the points. They should go to the condensor and coil. Check to see if they are still hooked up. They appear to be in pic #1.

if you still have his number, id give the po a call. you never know, he might have forgot to give it to you. if your lucks in, he might just give it to you. you'll never know if you dont ha8e a go. cheers

Posted via Mobile

I'd replace that taped up throttle cable. It looks like your Electronic Ignition is a couple of car coils.
Leo

There is also another possible explanation. In the 70s and 80s you could get "electronic" ignitions controlled by points. These used the points to switch a very small control/signal current, and the actual switching of the coil primary current was done by some semiconductor inside the "black box". I guess this made the points last longer, and possibly saved the coils if the ignition was left on with the engine stopped.

This type of setup sort of resembles a light switch controlling a headlight relay. Lower current through the switch.

If you have any kind of "black box" connected to your coils or breaker points, then you have this kind of "electronic" ignition.

Wasn't that called CDI? Capacitive Discharge Ignition

I'd replace that taped up throttle cable. It looks like your Electronic Ignition is a couple of car coils.
Leo

Yeah, no kidding, throttle cable is on order. The coils seem to be working ok, would you suggest replacing them?

if you still have his number, id give the po a call. you never know, he might have forgot to give it to you. if your lucks in, he might just give it to you. you'll never know if you dont ha8e a go. cheers

Posted via Mobile

Unfortunately I bought the bike a few years ago and the project stalled out for a couple years.

Back