Ignition switch

chejug

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am working on a wiring 1982 xs650, I am using this napa ignition switch and I am having some trouble with wiring it. Which wire goes where?

The ignition switch has:

Battery , Ignition, ACC and the one in the middle which I don't know what it is.

Attachments

• ignition.jpg
    ignition.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 134
Hi chejug,
if that switch was meant for use in a car the fourth terminal is most likely for the starter solenoid.
Check if the key has a spring loaded all the way right position.

Hi chejug,
if that switch was meant for use in a car the fourth terminal is most likely for the starter solenoid.
Check if the key has a spring loaded all the way right position.

The initial is ST for that pole. That could be for Start.

Now, how do I wire it?

Start- goes to starter solenoid with a fuse.

Battery- goes to battery with a fuse.

Ignition- ( I wanna use kick start only so this doesn't apply).

ACC- This one I got no idea.

Am I in the right bath here?

Thank you

Hi chejug,
you can check out what the switch does by turning the key to it's different positions and using your multi-meter to see which terminals are connected.
As I see what you have:-
start is the terminal you don't need because it works the starter solenoid and it's only powered when you hold the key in that position.
battery is the terminal that feeds power to the switch.
ignition is the terminal that powers the coil
ACC is the terminal that powers a car's radio. It stays on when you turn the key to ignition.
You can use the ACC terminal to power the tail, gauge & signal lights.
That's if you plan to keep your '82's auto-on headlight function.
Otherwise use it to power the headlight too.
Alternatively you can ignore the ACC terminal and run everything off the ignition terminal.

Last edited:
I think you're going to end up using only two positions on your new switch, on and off. If you look at your old switch, you should find three wires, a red, a brown, and a blue. Red was fused power in from the battery. Brown was power out not only to the coils, but to pretty much the whole rest of the bike. Blue was power out to the tail light only. The original switch connected all three in the "On" position, only the red and blue in the "Park" position. The key could be removed in the "Park" position. The "Park" position was handy if you had to leave the bike on the side of the road at night. You could do so with the tail light on to make it more visible but take the key with you. On your new switch, I don't think the key will come out in the "ACC" position. I doubt you'd want to leave the bike on the side of the road with the key in it.

So, you will probably just want to hook the red to "Battery", the brown and blue to "Ignition". Nothing will connect to the "ACC" or "ST" terminals and those switch positions will do nothing.

As mentioned your stock switch used red, brown and blue. On your new switch hook the red to Battery, the brown to ignition and blue to accessories. This way when you turn the key on it powers the tail light from the acc, the rest of the bike from ign. If this don't work then hook the blue wire in with the brown.
On the stock start button it grounded the starter relay, that switch sends power to the starter relay. To use that start function you need to rearrange the starter relay wiring. At the relay ground the blue/white wire and run the red/white wire to the ST terminal of the new switch.
Leo

Back