Ignition system help?

Hairic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm needing some help, I have read all I can but Still I am confused as to what I need to get for my motor. It is a 73, I basically want to say that I have nothing as far as the charging system goes, Also I have nothing as far as the ignition goes, It is a points motor and I do not have an advance rod or any of that stuff either. Did not know this when I picked it up, was told all it needed was new rings. Any way I am going to be ordering basically everything I need soon, only problem is I do not know what it is that I need, I want the best ignition system there is, maybe the easiest, I will be running electric start headlight tail light blinkers all that good stuff. If someone would please take the time to help me get what I need I would appreciate it. If your bored and can link what I need that would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.

Hi
Two choices really

1. Go for the original alternator and points setup

2. Go modern and get a PMA and an electronic ignition such as a Pamco or Boyer Bransden

Ok, I have read that the original can be problematic, So I will go modern. And the pma is the easy part as far as choosing, read hughs system is best and from what I can tell is complete. After I get the below link
http://hughshandbuilt.com/shop/complete-pma-kits/
would this be all that I would need? remember I do not have an advanced timing rod?
http://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0913.html

Also leaning twards the pamco just because I know he is a member here and Have seen him helping others. I do not know much about the boyer system. So the question here is with these and assuming everything else is ok with my motor it should run?

Sweet thank you, One more question if you dont mind, are there any other little electrical parts that I will need besides the fuses and wires to run it electric start with all signals and lights?

Good call going new tech on that stuff. Take almost 40 amps just to start the original alternator
How are your swithces,relay,solenoid and all the other peripheral stuff

Posted via Mobile

Good call going new tech on that stuff. Take almost 40 amps just to start the original alternator
How are your swithces,relay,solenoid and all the other peripheral stuff

Posted via Mobile

I think you made a typo there. The alternator rotor only draws about 2.4 amps when the key is turned on, and about 1 amp when driving down the road. 40 amps would blow fuses!

That info came from a few of Hughs old pma write ups :shrug:

As far as I could grasp its like start up amps vs running amps for any brush motor.
My bad for the misinformation

Either way pma is the way to go:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

As RCRider says, peripherals such as relays, switches etc.
However as you get further into it you'll find items that are required / not required.
Have a flick through the electrical section in Tech on this forum and use the search function too. There are loads of useful tit bits hidden away. Also, don't be frightened to post for help too :)

Paulexs650,

Beer allows you to transition through the "zone of truth". Your mind is all confused when you are sober. Prejudice, lack of confidence and ennui rule the sober mind.

As you consume beer, one after the other, you pass through the "zone of truth" where all mysteries are solved, all women are hot, and the skies are not cloudy all day.

You do your most imaginative work while in the zone of truth, but it is short lived, because the zone requires a continuous flow of beer to keep the lamps aglow, which soon dim as the flow of beer drowns the flame of truth and beauty and all becomes blurry and uncertain, just as it is when you were sober.

So, be prepared...take notes and have lots of witnesses as you move rapidly through the zone, because it's truth is fleeting, and the fall is steep, and all those hot women will soon cool down, and the empties will rattle around the floor reminding you that the truth is a transient...

That info came from a few of Hughs old pma write ups :shrug:

As far as I could grasp its like start up amps vs running amps for any brush motor.
My bad for the misinformation

Either way pma is the way to go:thumbsup:

Posted via Mobile

Sounds like marketing propaganda to me. Those stock electro-magnet alternators are evil and must be removed to prevent electrical catastrophy:wink2:

Back