Ignition Unit?

Yes, You need it for the bike to run. Kick or electric start, it gives the coils the juice to fire.

Thanks azman, any idea why I would need it on the bike as I was told it's a 1970 kickstart only motor?

It's probably your ignition. If you don't have another ignition anywhere, it's your ignition. If you do have another ignition then that box and the part leo pictured are just left over and are valuable on ebay. The two round silver covers at the upper part of the engine, if there's no mechanism under either it's probably your ignition. Or disconnect it and if your bike won't run, it's your ignition...

Ok, it appears you don't know much about these bikes. The ignition is just that an ignition. All it does is run the engine. It has nothing to do with the way it starts.
A kick only bike just means it uses the kick starter. The first two years these bikes were just kick start. In 73 they added the E-start.
From 70-79 they used points ignition. In 80 they changed to electronic ignition, they used a TCI or Transistor Controlled Ignition. Either ignition can be used on any year engine.
So, if you have a working ignition I would suggest keeping it. It is a good ignition. It works very well. It may last another 30 years, or not. You can get a Pamco and either keep it till the Stock dies beyond repair or install it on the bike. You can even have both installed. Run the stock till it craps out then just with a bit of wire swapping be back going with the Pamco.
On my 81 I plane on getting a E-advancer Pamco, Install it with a switch so I can easily switch back and forth between the two. This way I can ride the bike as stock, Then stop shut it down, flick the switch and start off on the Pamco. This way I can get a much better back to back comparison between them.
I had the original Pamco then added the e-advancer, I rode the bike then did the swap then rode the bike again over the same circuit on the road. This gave me a very good idea of the difference between the original and e-advancer Pamco's.
Being able to easily swap from stock to Pamco will be even better for testing.
Leo

Back