I'm being beat by a Clutch!! Tried everything!

puftas

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I have a 77' xs650D, mostly stock. It's my first bike, but I'm teaching myself everything I can. This forum is awesome, and I love my bike!

Problem:

I was lubing my clutch cable, and doing some basic stuff, and while I was doing so, while trying to wipe the exposed end of the pushrod, I ended up pulling it from it's seat. Not even out of the hole. Is that bad? can't find anyone saying it is anywhere.
Tried to put it back, not sure if I had done something bad and had the feeling that it wasn't going as far back in as it should.
Unsure of what to do I re-assembled to test the clutch, and found that it wasn't disengaging when I pulled on it. When in 1st with the clutch pulled I can just push the machine forward (I'm 6'5" and 215)...

Commence learning about clutch system.
:shrug:
So now I've tried everything I can think of.

Replaced clutch cable. found a crack in the rubber casing and had a cable from Mikes already, so why not. seemed to pull a bit of play out of the system.

fiddled with push-rod endlessly trying to get it to seat just a millimeter or so deeper. No go, can see bearing down the shaft with it out. haven't pulled it, waiting on magnetic wand. All looks ok. Seal seems fine.

disassembled worm to check casing for damage, no sign, it's the white plastic older style. Ball bearing still in worm. all appears in order.

endlessly readjusted at adjustment nut and handle. No change, no matter how tight past spec I go.

Still won't disengage. seems like it does a bit, but not fully. I think it got slightly better with the new cable installed.

:confused:
And now I don't know what to do. Trying to avoid taking the RH cover off and pulling the plates to get to the rod from the other side. Not sure I'm quite the mechanic for that yet. like I said I'm waiting for a telescoping magnet so I can try to pull the bearing from the center and make sure everything is moving.

If anyone has any ideas, has had this problem or something like it, lemme know.

Also if anyone has a picture of where their pushrod lines up with their crankcase so I can know if mine is close to where it should be.

The clutch opens just barely enough to work when running. Without, the drag is enough to not let it be easy to push around. Put it in neutral to push around.
With it adjusted as described in the repair manual test ride it to see how it works.
Leo

thanks guys,

I'll measure it to make sure. I found some pics that make me think it's where it's supposed to be.

I ran in on the centerstand in 1st and when i applied rear brake it stalled out. Makes me worried to do it on the ground. don't want it to fly out from under me.

Back