Im confused

1sthough

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello. All im installing a pamco on 77xs650d, the wiring off the coil has me confused. Theres a blue and a black with white stripe,coming off the coil The ingition plate theres red, green, black,I know the black is ground it says red wire to battery connection on coil or the other red white wire, which I assume is from switch.Green wire to other coil terminal, is this the terminal where the black wire and the blue wires are coming from.

On the coil: one wire goes to battery hot, the pamco red can also be connected there. The other attaches to the Pamco green it doesn't matter between the blue or black/white

So this would be fine
coil blue to pamco green
Coil black/white to battery and pamco red
Done

On the coil: one wire goes to battery hot, the pamco red can also be connected there. The other attaches to the Pamco green it doesn't matter between the blue or black/white

So this would be fine
coil blue to pamco green
Coil black/white to battery and pamco red
Done
An all the other wires I unhooked from the old ignition are just left unhooked.

On your 79D a red wire comes from the engine stop switch to power the stock coils. Use this wire to power the new coil and the Pamco.
On your new coil, it is not polarity sensitive, meaning either wire can be hot, the other wire ground.
The two previous post gave good advice on the wiring, I just wanted to add some why.
Leo

correct. the orange and gray wires from the points and condensers are no longer needed. You can remove the condensers now, or the next time you take off the top engine mount to do a head bolt retorque.

I just use the originally recommended NGK BP7ES plugs. Some use the fancy expensive ($10) plugs but I find no reason to do so. My bike runs just fine with the plain jane $2 plugs. This is an old engine design and I find it to be quite tough on plugs. They wear rather quickly. I change mine out every 3 to 4K miles. Now, the expensive plugs are supposed to last longer and maybe they would go like twice as long, but they'd need to last like 5 times as long to offset their cost. I just don't see that happening.

With your new better, stronger coil, you can use a bit bigger plug gap. Stock gap spec was .024"-.028". I run mine at .032".

ok I think I will stick with those then, I really appreciate the help, Thanks

Back