im gonna need help...

1is2many

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
new to this forum:
Drew here and my boss just picked this thing up and its my project.
some pics below im not sure but i was told its a 72 or 75...?

xs1.jpg

xs2.jpg

xs3.jpg

xs7.jpg

xs6.jpg

xs5.jpg

xs4.jpg

xs8.jpg

The boxes are filled with parts which some i may need and some i will trade for the parts i dont have so let me know if i may be able to help someone.
The motor IN the bike definitely has a weird "tick" :wtf: metal to metal when i kick it. compression seems great but i dont like the sound, it isnt valves from what i hear plus the timing of the noise. i have a short video of kicking it over if anyone PM's me their # i will text them the video and they can let me know what they think.

the other motor and custom stand and freshly machined jugs came with the deal also. :thumbsup:

i am missing the coils and wires so i cant even see if it runs right now so i need to get them asap.

I've never worked on one of these but i figure what better time than now...
anyone have coils and/or plug wires they want to sell or trade?

much more 75 than 72 that metallic tick on kick over is often a very loose cam chain.

thats what i told one of the guys here. the stock tensioner cannot be adjusted correct?
if thats the case then the chain is just to far strecthed out...?

nevermind just adjusted it...

now on to the eff'd up wiring.

im thinking i may need a new harness this one has no starter solinoid/relay and no fuse box.

The stock tensioner is adjustable. Download a manual from here
There are some issues with the rubber breaking off the cam chain guides, pull the sump and side oil screens for evidence of chunks of rubber. The bottom screen will be torn should be fixed but it is almost always torn. search on here for threads about cam chain adjusting and filter R&R

well tried to sell it running as a project and got some bites but no sale.

back to making this thing streetable... i will update as i get stuff done.

The dash looks to be 74 or 75. The tank looks like a later special. With two petcocks I would say 78-79. This makes it look more like the 75 instead of 72, the 72 tank is a bit longer or shorter than the 74 up tanks, never can recall .
Those wheels are 74-78, alloy lipped rims, 72 I think had chromed steel rims.
There are several charts floating around that use the frame and engine numbers to identify the years, Might find one in the TECH section.
The engine number is just behind the front engine mount. Frame number is on the steering neck.
Better yet look on the title.
Leo

well the title and frame match and it says 75. but the tank isnt a 75 and i dont think the motor is because from what i can tell it's using an older harness. but i really dont know much about these xs bikes. i will by the time im done with this effing thing tho. :banghead: :) :bike:

Does the frame number match either engine number? The engine number can be used on the charts to identify the year it was.
Leo

that bike could be a nice close to stocker daily rider.

EDIT: nvm..looks like your ready to ruin it.

nah just stuck that on there for the picture.
and it was FAR from any kinda driving when i got a hold of it. even in the top pic it was way messed up the guy we got it from just slapped it together.

well this is what it looks like now, we decided to completely strip it and have the frame and lots of other parts PC'd black.

xsbuild.jpg

xsbuild2.jpg

Back