I'm Lost...

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
OK, this might seem like a silly question, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to save a thread without publishing it.
I want to write an article that will be fairly long and take days if not weeks to write.... and I don't want y'all seeing it 'till it's done.
How the hell do I do that?

Often wondered that myself Jim. Only work around I have figured out is to type it up in Word or Google Sheets/Docs and then copy and paste it into a new post when ready. Bit of work and you'll still have to add the pics when you're doing up the post which would be a pain if it's real long.

Don't know for how long the software here will save a draft?
There is also a maximum word count for a post as well but don't recall what it is.

Hope someone who knows the software better here posts a solution.

Don't know for how long the software here will save a draft?
Yeah... I was lookin' for a "save as draft" button or something along those lines. Went through all 10 pages of the Classroom.... nothing.

Ya, I know when we're typing up a post the software automatically saves as draft but wonder how long that would last for?

Ya, I know when we're typing up a post the software automatically saves as draft but wonder how long that would last for?
Good question Robin. I'm gonna do a test in the "The Sandbox" section and see how long it lasts. Maybe you could do the same and we'll compare notes?

Ok, will do when I'm back at my computer for a bit Jim.

So I started a thread in the sandbox and then bookmarked it. Closed it and then opened the bookmark... and there it is!!:D. I'll keep rechecking and see how long it lasts... but it might be a poor mans "save draft" function.

What I would do is type it up in Notepad or something else that saves as a simple text file on the computer, then when it was finally Pulitzer quality I'd start the thread and load up the file and copy and paste it in. Looks the same as if you'd typed it into the browser if that's what's worrying you.

if that's what's worrying you.
No, I use multiple computers on different networks. I just don't want to have to save a doc file to a flash drive and then forget it somewhere. If I had a buck for every time I did that....

So I started a thread in the sandbox and then bookmarked it. Closed it and then opened the bookmark... and there it is!!:D. I'll keep rechecking and see how long it lasts... but it might be a poor mans "save draft" function.

I have done the same Jim and will keep checking it as well. Course we then have to copy and paste everything from the Sandbox to the Garage, or wherever. Wonder if pics would copy and paste with it? Will try that too.

No, I use multiple computers on different networks. I just don't want to have to save a doc file to a flash drive and then forget it somewhere. If I had a buck for every time I did that....

Google Docs or any other online editor would solve this as long as you've got access to the net. Google is taking over the world.

Cloud storage like Google Drive is free and fast enough for stuff like that. It's like your slow flash drive in the sky.

Course we then have to copy and paste everything from the Sandbox to the Garage, or wherever.
No, I was thinkin' we could just start the draft wherever we wanted it.... ie the garage.

There is a size limit on the length of a single post. I don’t know what it is but I remember Pete bumping up to it once. He had to break his article into two peices.
I know myself, any time I am going to post a lot of photos, I typically break it up so I don’t max out my post.

Something else I've done is use an account like gmail and save as draft. More of a one click solution. Put garbage in the "To:" field so you don't accidentally email it to somebody...

why not start the thread with a temporary holding title and a simple 1x line post then later when you are ready to post, come back and edit both the title and the original post.
If I ever have several posts I would like to make in succession in a thread ,due to the number of images or post size, I simply answer my post with another 5-6 answering posts with the one word 'reserved' that way you can reserve as many concurrent posts as you need.

If I ever have several posts I would like to make in succession in a thread ,due to the number of images or post size, I simply answer my post with another 5-6 answering posts with the one word 'reserved' that way you can reserve as many concurrent posts as you need.
Never thought of that Peanut.... thanks.

I think the limit on a given post is 10,000 characters - which if you assume an average of 4-5 letters/word would be around 2000 words (I don’t know how spaces between words are handled - but I guess they count as characters)....

Last edited:
Back