Increase front or decrease rear sprocket

My fav is 17/33 with an 18" rear wheel. You wouldn't think just one tooth would make much difference but it really does. Benefits are little if any loss of low speed "lunge" and a reduction of a few hundred RPMs at highway speeds. I feel this is the ideal gearing for this motor with an 18" rear. I have a spare wheel with a 32 on it and don't care for it as much.

5twins,are you using the 17/33 with a 110/90 X 18 or a 4.00 X 18 tire? Or something different?

I run a 110 or 4.00 x 18, the stock tire size. I got the bike with a 120 on it and don't care for that compared to the stock size. It slows down the steering and handling. With only about 50 HP on tap, you don't need a big fat tire on the back and like I said, I think it adversely affects the handling.

Yes, 17/33 was supposedly stock gearing on the Euro Standards. I think they got it right. You can run a 17/32 or 33 without cutting the chain if it's in good shape (not all stretched out). I switch between the 2 with the standard 104 link chain length. Supposedly the Canadian Specials came with 17/36 gearing. I think they got that wrong, lol.

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that shows engine RPM vs MPH for any combination of gears and sprockets. This spreadsheet uses "rolling distance" instead of any tire dimension because you cannot get an accurate RPM vs MPH using the tires diameter or even circumference due to the shape of a motorcycle tire and the influence of tire pressure, brand of tire etc. Rolling distance is the distance that your bike moves for one revolution of the rear wheel. Measure it by marking the tire and floor and then moving the bike forward for one revolution of the rear wheel.

RPM vs MPH

Click on the yellow cells to reveal a pull down and select the desired values.

Example: 17/33 sprockets with a 18" rear wheel yields 3995 RPM at 60 MPH in fifth gear.

Really opened a can of worms here didn't you Joe? So many answers its hard to decide.
My 2 cents: reduce the rear sprocket size...my reasoning; its cheaper/ easier to cut a bit off the chain than to replace it altogether with a longer one (unless you're going to change it anyhow).

I run a 110 or 4.00 x 18, the stock tire size. I got the bike with a 120 on it and don't care for that compared to the stock size. It slows down the steering and handling. With only about 50 HP on tap, you don't need a big fat tire on the back and like I said, I think it adversely affects the handling.

Yes, 17/33 was supposedly stock gearing on the Euro Standards. I think they got it right. You can run a 17/32 or 33 without cutting the chain if it's in good shape (not all stretched out). I switch between the 2 with the standard 104 link chain length. Supposedly the Canadian Specials came with 17/36 gearing. I think they got that wrong, lol.

When I first got my bike it had the 17/36 gearing. It was a real hoot to drive around town.................very snappy acceleration. It was around 4200 rpm at 100 km/hr. Changed over to 17/33, and rpm down to about 3900 at 100 km/hr, which seems to be just right for highway and town riding.

retiredgentleman,
my Heritage had a 36T rear from new. The breakin tour around lake Superior sold me on swapping to a 33T. Mind you, the (carefull saved) 36T is just about perfect for sidecar use.
Goldy,
lopping chains is a bad thing. Sprockets & chain are best replaced as a set.
Shovel Jockey,
about your signature line, here's another little word play:-
If you can whip cream and beat eggs why can't you milk chocolate?

Well gee Spike, there's us told.
But no, I dunno where you could find a 29T rear sprocket.
You sure a 30T won't work for you?

"retiredgentleman,
my Heritage had a 36T rear from new. The breakin tour around lake Superior sold me on swapping to a 33T. Mind you, the (carefull saved) 36T is just about perfect for sidecar use."

I ran 18T counter and 36T rear with O ring chain and an Avon SMII 5.00/5.10 rear tire on my '83 XS650 SK with a '91 Velorex sidecar. That combo made it much easier to reach max torque and HP points and I didn't mind the extra revs at all on the expressways and interstate.

Last edited:
- - I ran 18T counter and 36T rear with O ring chain and an Avon SMII 5.00/5.10 rear tire on my '83 XS650 SK with a '91 Velorex sidecar. That combo made it much easier to reach max torque and HP points and I didn't mind the extra revs at all on the expressways and interstate.

Hi 'rocker,
18/36 is the same 1/2 ratio as the stock 17/34, eh?
No effin' way I'd run my Heritage/Velorex on expressways or interstates, though.
I have an XS11/SofA rig for that.
My XS650 rig seems happier around town and on 2-lane blacktop running 17/36.

OOOPS! I meant 16T. gave me a 2.25.

I had never been reluctant to operate it on any road. I was leading a ride from the New Jersey shore to Marcus Dairy in Conn up the Garden State Parkway with my son in the sidecar when our tailgunner on an FJ1200 rode to the front to tell me to slowdown "they can't keep up!" Guess it was a different time then.

Last edited:
Hi 'rocker,
that makes more sense; except WTF did you find a 16T sprocket?
All I have seen in the catalogs is 17T & 18T.

I used to buy a lot of parts back in the 80's and early 90's from JC Whitney, original Mike's XS and SpecII. I think I got the 17T and 36T 530 sprockets and chain from Whitney. I recall using 106 links. They used to carry quite a bit of cycle parts back then. I have looked fairly recently and find the 16T is no longer available anywhere. You would probably need to have a custom sprocket made. I did find a 15T for XS650 on ebay, that along with a stock 34T rear would yield a 2.27 but think that might be to tight of a turn.

I'm still hooked on sidecars, love talking about them, seeing them as well as riding them.

- - - I have looked fairly recently and find the 16T is no longer available anywhere. You would probably need to have a custom sprocket made. I did find a 15T for XS650 on ebay, that along with a stock 34T rear would yield a 2.27 but think that might be to tight of a turn.
I'm still hooked on sidecars, love talking about them, seeing them as well as riding them.

Hi 'rocker,
yeah, 15T is too small, I had a GT750 one time, it had a 15T sprocket and a busted casting where it had thrown a chain.
MikesXS stocks a 38T rear sprocket and 17/38 gives a 2.235 ratio.
It was great around town but definitely 4-speed + underdrive on the highway.
BTW, are you signed up with STC?

F,
Oh, I've been on there. I found it rather unwieldy, might just be my crappy notebook computer. I usually frequent ADV Riders Hacks section, USCA Forum, and check in with the racers at Sidecarracers to get my sidecar fix.

E

That may be ok if you just tool around town or barhop, but my xs is my only bike and I like to go to Mexico and California on it. So its fun to me to bring my bike instead of some fat pig like a 'wing. I should also mention that my engine is a 73, so it has a little more pep than my old 81 engine.[/QUOTE
What gearing do you run? I want to ride my 79 XS down to Mexico as well

Back