Installed Mikes starter repair kit, starter bendix, but still rattles.

denis

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i replaced the starter bendix with mikes kit and for some odd reason its still spinning through. I followed the direction exactly and all the washers, nuts, etc. when exactly where they came from. I also remembered to relocate the spring clip just as the directions said. Maybe its not sitting in tight enough so I can always add a washer or something before the final "C" clip or maybe the starter gear spring is not applying enough tension to keep the starter gear engaged.

- whats the condition of the receiver gear...when its stuffed youre shit out of luck

It seems that that might be the case.. I'm too lazy to rip it apart again so i'll just stick to kicking and use it as is for back up.

If the spacer in the reduction gear box on the back left side of the motor is missing, it can sound just light the bendix problem.

hey trav can you post a reference pic so I can see what to look for or where the gear is located.

P3170006.jpg

Thanks INXS. What is the number of the spacer that Travis is referring to?

- not sure, the only things i can think of are the collar, #16..12-18-9.6, the wave washer #15, or the dampers #19 are worn
- have you tried the starter with the rh case off, so you can watch what is happening?
- is the gear #12 still sitting on its shaft? - can see when the cover #23 is removed

#16 was missing and it sounded like the bendix problem. I think the previous owner had it all apart and forgot the spacer when he put it back together. Without that spacer, 20-21 could slide on that shaft (22) toward the cover (23). That was causing 21 to just grind on the edge of 12. Sometimes the gear would fall back into place and work just fine, and other times it would grind.

I would drain the oil, pull the cover (23) off and make sure everything is in there. If so, take the right side cover off and watch the bendix as you hit the starter to make sure it's working. Don't forget to do something to ensure it won't start.

Is 10, 11, and 12 supposed to have any play? I can move the gear on the shaft a bit each way and the entire thing back and forth a bit. Is that normal or is the shaft worn?

Is 10, 11, and 12 supposed to have any play? I can move the gear on the shaft a bit each way and the entire thing back and forth a bit. Is that normal or is the shaft worn?

I saw this too when I put mine back together and no one seemed to know. The book is VERY unclear with regard to this. It's totally loose. Look at these two pictures:

full

full

I don't think that matters much. I'll bet if we all checked ours, they'd be pretty much the same in that regard. The big starter problem for the most part is that weak drag spring on the #4 gear. The drag clip in the kit from Mike's is reported to be even weaker so you're probably better off re-tensioning the original.

5twins look at sseres picture again. That looks to be an angle head screw?
I believe that should be a pan head(#14 in the schematic).
I think what is happening in the pic is the plate is riding the angles. Allowing the slop.
If it was a pan head it would have a flat surface all round to support it.
But my eyes ain't worth a shit anymore.

I think you're right. I didn't notice the screw at first glance. The assembly does have some in/out play but his may have more with that incorrect plate screw. This is a slow turning shaft that transfers the starter input to the engine so a bit of play probably doesn't hurt anything. It's not spinning at 5K or something like that.

:laugh:I can't believe you guys are commenting on my screw!:laugh:

Yes, it's the wrong screw, but it's holding the plate beneath it solid. I noticed it in the pictures when I was looking back through my build thread but 1) couldn't find the right one and 2) confirmed it does indeed hold that plate firm.... so, despite my creative screwing, I don't think it is giving wiggle to the rod and gear.

Back