Installing steering head bearings Questions???

Lee Harvey Griswold

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey fellas, Just wanted to ask you guys whats the best method for installing the steering head bearings and races?? Can a guy just tap em in with a socket! Getting ready to finish up my build and wanted hear the best method for installation!!

Thanks in Advance,

LHG

I use a block of wood on the new race and hammer against that. The top one will go in all the way just fine using this method but the bottom one is inset up into the neck. It will only go part way with the wood then you need to place one of the old ball races on it to drive it in farther. It may even require 2 of the old ball races eventually to fully seat it, I don't recall.

Which set of races are you using? If you are using the tapered bearings the top race will sit a little proud and not enter the neck fully. TC

Thanks for reply's gentlemen, Twins, Thanks for the info but unfortunately I threw away the old races!! Knew I shouldve held on to em! And TC, Im using the tapered bearings and races I bought off ebay! I belive they are made by All Balls.

LHG

Make sure you put the top race in the top and likewise on the bottom. Many guys have put the races in the wrong end and you wouldn't notice it until you try to put the stem thru, then your screwed.

i used the old races up against the new race and then a block of wood. I put the new races in the freezer and put a little heat on the neck. right in!

Back