Tool for steering head nut?

How much of a hurry are you in?
What size is you torque wrench?
You want a socket to fit a standard steering nut?
Related;
I found a bearing maker that stated most "brinelling" isn't, it's a wear pattern from vibration causing the to oscillate against each other, the races pay the price (false brinelling.
That matters cuz well you ain't going to eliminate vibration from your 360 vertical twin.
https://www.malloywind.com/articles/false-brinelling
What I read here is to keep them greased. I'll save the link. If I had been equipped with this information, I would have chosen different grease than I did.

BTW, in recent weeks I replace steering head bearings on a ZG1000 Connie. They were severely brinelled tapered roller bearings.

Screw driver and hammer or palm of the hand if you're not averse to pain. It's not going to damage the nut as it doesn't have to be done up tight, just enough so it doesn't move about.
I made this spanner for the the auto advance nut some time ago, didn't take that long to make, but I think you'd be better off making a C spanner. Screwdriver and hammer are no good for the auto advance nut though, the PO of my 74 absolutely butchered this nut.

Attachments

• castelated nut spanner.jpg
    castelated nut spanner.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 31
I have a KTM dealer less than 10 miles away. They tried hard to help me. They admitted that they use a punch and a hammer. That's why I try to work on my own shit.

I made this spanner for the the auto advance nut some time ago, didn't take that long to make, but I think you'd be better off making a C spanner. Screwdriver and hammer are no good for the auto advance nut though, the PO of my 74 absolutely butchered this nut.
I absolutely love your work. I lack your talent and a proper shop.

Oh well :shrug: it'll come in handy round here too.

:twocents:This type steering nut assembly is the hot tip.
As used on many later yamahas

1679789879756.png

#5 is a rubber washer
The special washer #6 ties the two nuts together so the bottom one stays in place. The rubber washer stops tightening the second nut from changing the pressure the first nut applies on the bearing race. This set up would raise the top triple a bit so create issue with the ear's length.
I will do one of these on an XS one day.

Last edited:
Yes, a pair of those hook spanners is the hot set-up for this. Although the diameter of the notched nut is only around 40mm, this 45-52 spanner size seems to fit well, better in fact than Gary's "correct" 38-42 size .....

NotchedNut2.jpg

NotchedNut.jpg

Yes, a pair of those hook spanners is the hot set-up for this.
Yes, it is, and exactly what I've been using. They're perfect for tapered roller bearings. This may be the first time I have serviced and properly adjusted the OE ball bearings. I'm looking to set a specific torque value.

Heads up: this steering nut was used in so many Yamahas the compatibility listing doesn't come close to covering them all
So if you're bit clever with your fleabay search you can score some good deals. two nuts [ NUT | M5-012 90179-25004-00 ]
the special washer and the rubber washer to my door $9.50

1679866653621.png

Something I've found is that when you tighten the big top nut on the top of the tree to spec (45 ft/lbs I think), it often makes your adjustment a little tighter.

Back