Interchangable HEADS ???

Dakota

Dakota
Reaction score
I have a 75 engine with a bad head what years of bikes can i swap parts with.
Same thing with carburators my carbs are from a 78 will it work? :confused::banghead:

Yes the carbs will work. And as far as I know there shouldn't be any problems swapping the head out with all or at the very least, most XS years.

The early years 70-73 were the 256 engines the heads will swap, something about headgaskets and the way it fits around the can chain tunnel. In 74 they started with the 447 engine, From there up no problems.
On the carbs any year just use the matching carb holders.

MAKE SURE to use the matching head cover as well. They are machined as a pair, and have matching numbers stamped into them

Oh shit that might be a problem 75 block and a 78 head 75 head cover......................................ill have to see. my head will be hear in a few days so further questions to come......sorry guys this is my first engine rebuild besides a lawnmower but im working my way up

The head and cover, are matched sets, same as the engine cases, they have matching numbers.
You might get lucky and have it work. If not oil leaks, bearings binding are some of the things mismatching can cause. Best to have matching parts. The guy you got the head from might have the matching cover, If not try to get your money back.

Back