Interesting Speedo Mount

atomic22

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Found this on the Interweb...and ideas on how to do something similar on an XS?

speedo%203.jpg

My spedo cable broke on a ride and the internals are lost somewhere on the highway, does anyone know what size the ends of the cables are...the flat parts?

Might work on a chopper, but otherwise that's a long way to look down. I've always liked the old BMW/ural/chang jiang r-75, mounted right in the headlight.

speedo.jpg

Lots of bikes put the speedo in the headlight... Cb450 black bomber, cb160, cl77, cb77... Etc. Its a sweet way to do it. Got that going on my cb169 cafe project.

I think you can get repair kits at the Auto parts stores. The kit has a cable core that you cut to length, crimp on the end an it just replaces the one you lost.
I might suggest that you install the cores with the end that has the stop on the uppper end. This will keep the core from falling out if the cable comes loose.

I think you can get repair kits at the Auto parts stores. The kit has a cable core that you cut to length, crimp on the end an it just replaces the one you lost.
I might suggest that you install the cores with the end that has the stop on the uppper end. This will keep the core from falling out if the cable comes loose.

Thanks XSleo, I'll look for a kit.

Found this on the Interweb...and ideas on how to do something similar on an XS?

speedo%203.jpg

My spedo cable broke on a ride and the internals are lost somewhere on the highway, does anyone know what size the ends of the cables are...the flat parts?

You really meant to say "Stupid Speedo Mount", right Atomic? Yeah, I figured you just misspoke... :D

There are all sorts of ways to mount a speedo that keep it off the bars and keep it minimal without being pointless and semi-retarded. That ain't one of them...

You really meant to say "Stupid Speedo Mount", right Atomic? Yeah, I figured you just misspoke... :D

There are all sorts of ways to mount a speedo that keep it off the bars and keep it minimal without being pointless and semi-retarded. That ain't one of them...

Hahaha :laugh: Yeah, the website I found this ingenious setup on states it's pointless since you can't see it or read it while riding.

I'm going to find a headlight mount with speedometer that doesn't cost a whole lot.

Any suggestions? The BMW ones are nice, but ridiculously expensive. :wtf:

I know some were posted above, but are there reproductions that are cheaper?

I have mounted speedometers in out of the way places back in the day on choppers just to keep track of mileage. Have since found that a small hour meter somewhere works better.

Back