Intro: First bike- an XS650. need HELP with wiring!

lopejd01

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, I already posted my bike and some questions but I figured I should have probably started off with an introduction.
24yrs old, been wanting to learn to ride for awhile but I'm also a full time college student and had to find the time. This summer I made a conscious effort to learn and started checking craigslist everyday for bikes. Took months but I found a bike that caught my eye- a 77' xs 650. Paid 1500$ for it, maybe a little much but I felt good about it.

Bike ran great for the first day or two I had it but than all of a sudden it wouldnt idle. My dad got it running long enough to do a couple laps but it sounded weird. we put it away and the next day I tried starting it up again and now it wont even start at all. I have a feeling the problem is in the carbs.

My experience with bikes/engines/things with wheels = none. I take my vehicles in to have the oil changed. Not against learning though. I bought a 4 wheeler this summer and took the carb apart to clean out the jets. Took me hours though to get it running right after I did it.

I'll probably endup taking the bike in to get looked at though. I have just so little experience and no one to help, i'm afraid I'll endup getting it in pieces and cause more of a mess. besides, I bought the bike to learn to ride and I can't do that if it sits in the garage all summer. BUT- if anyone has any advice on how what could have happened, please let me know. If it seems like something I can attempt without screwing it up, I'll go for it. It just went from running great all day to not running in a snap.

The big question I do have, because its not engine related, is the wiring.
electrically, its bone dry. The guy I got it from put a crappy headlight on it and it works. the right switch it there and works. the brake light also works, though only when engaging the rear brake. It also does not stay lit when the headlight is on (is it supposed to, like a car? lol not sure if theres something that keeps it running). Maybe because the battery is practically dead. I've always had to kick start it because the electric just clicks. I posted pictures of the wire mess thats hanging down behind the headlight. serious mess of wires. any idea what some of them are for? I need to figure out how to wire the speedo, front and rear turn signals, and the front brake to rear brake light. additionally, I'm probably going to go with the tiny LED signals so..anything special I need to know about wiring these up?

Thanks.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG031.jpg
    IMG031.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG032.jpg
    IMG032.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG033.jpg
    IMG033.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG034.jpg
    IMG034.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG035.jpg
    IMG035.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 75
Check your spark plugs... might be fouled.

The terminals to your front brake wiring is probably corroded, clean it and reinstall.

Do a search for wiring, there are LOTS of threads on it. You can simplify things quite a bit, and remove a lot of unnecessary things. The electric start probably has a "safety relay", and it can be removed, I had the same issue and after removing the safety relay it works perfect.

There are even simplified wiring diagrams which will help you make a new harness with just what you need.

Thanks! found this wiring diagram. simplest one (the only one I could actually read) I found. There are alot of things I'm still trying to make heads and tails of but I have a feeling that everything is probably already wired and I just need to instal the switch and the lights. atleast I hope because I'm not sure what some of these things even are.

Have any experience with using LED lights? I think I heard a rumor that there are additional steps to take using leds.

Attachments

• 79PointsSchematic.jpg
    79PointsSchematic.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 77
Thanks SHOTGUNJOE! didnt even think about the plugs, automatically assumed the carbs were messed up. Pulled the plugs out- fouled. Put new iridums in it and it fired right up. whew.

Good deal man. CCarbs probably aren't messed up, but will most likely need fiddling now. You need to find out why they fouled in the first place.

Theres a great set of guys here to help you along with anymore questions you will have. If you haven't already, download the carb tuning guide.
Good luck.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they fouled out because the carbs need tuned. they need jetted for the pods and the exhaust. I bought the bike knowing that. I was driving it in only first for a couple days down the ally and back as its my first time on a bike and with the popping of the exhaust and me over reving it, I'm sure thats what fouled them.

Thats over with now as im flying in 3rd in the same ally. I need to change the jets out though but i've never messed with a carb on a motorcycle before. Tore my 4 wheelers apart probably 50 times though. I'm assuming its the same, unscrew the bowl and just pull out the jets? Have a feeling that would be "too simple" though. than comes the next problem..how do I know what size jets to get? do I buy a *variety* pack or something and just keep switching them out till I get a smooth sounding bike?
Haha, I'm so new to this. I apologize for my infancy. At least im eager to learn.

Back