Introducton

good2bsims

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... here goes, my first project.

DSC00002.JPG

Album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/good2b...authkey=Gv1sRgCPfBitjZ__y2ggE&feat=directlink

I picked her up off craigslist. She had been sitting since late '80's. 15k miles on the clock. Cables and controls are shot, rear brake was seized. Chain gone... I could turn the crank in gear, and could get into all gears but 1st. No battery. Tank is in really good shape, no dents, and minimal surface rust inside (I'll probably sell it and side covers).

I've been riding for a few years, about 30K miles under my belt. I do most of the maintenance on my motorcycle but have always wanted to attempt a build/rebuild project. I've always liked the look and sound of these motors. I've seen a lot of great XS650 around town at the monthly vintage bike night and the Rockers Reunion. Ardcore Choppers are here and town, and I've seen a few of their bikes at these events.

I'm going to tackle this slowly, learning along the way. I've never had a motor of any kind apart, but I want to learn. I plan on getting the motor out, in a stand and do what needs to be done to get her running. After I figure out what shape she's in I may consider a rebuild with rephase. I like what I've seen from Hugh's website. If she's too bad to resurrect I'll pick up the next one I see, try to get something a little better off, and part out what I don't use between the two. My finished bike will probably be on a custom frame, either Aardcore or Voodoo Vintage. I'd like to use stock forks/trees, stock wheels, and stock brake(s). I want something I can ride around town, back and forth to work, etc. Any major highway riding or long trips will be done on my other bike.

I'm a design engineer working mostly with sheet metal. Although I can't get away with personal projects on the shop floor of where I work, I have access to a job shop that will do favors for me as I sometimes provide them with some design/CAD services in return.

Any advice is appreciated, please don't flame me too hard if I ask dumb questions. I've downloaded the German translated PDF, the factory manual, and the Dr. Rod article. Lucky, the local library has both the Clymer and Haynes manuals available for checkout.

Thanks,
Sims

Welcome to the forum. Looks like a nice easy project if your just going to get it road worthy for starters.
The transmission may be Ok , with no chain on it gears can be hard to reach ...especially after sitting so long.
Just remember anything you take apart, have a box ready to put bolts/part into it so you dont lose any nuts or bolts. Better to bag and tag them if it is going to be a long term project. Have lots of rags, and be clean about it and it will be allot easier.
Good luck.

Welcome to the site! You seem to be ahead of the curve. You actually have a plan.
And a good prospect for your project.

Looking good!....If you get that much done each weekend it wont take too long, Actually the hard part if you decide to do the hardtail is made up of descisions on fabrications, searching for parts to fit(ones you like) then adapting them to your bike.
The old saying measure twice cut once really works with choppers too.
Ask any one here about parts they bought and never used...Go slow and think hard.

No sir, that bad boy is not in my plan. Anything I'm not using is up for sale. Chrome isn't perfect on it, but not terrible either. I can get some better pictures your way if you want.

Back