Investigate Starter

MrYeats

MrYeats
Reaction score
Since I took my motor off the frame for servicing, I thought I would look into hooking up the starter, since it was never hooked up since I bought the bike.
The first thing I noticed is that the heavy cables connected to the terminal on the starter body had been cut in two. While still mounted, I thought I would go ahead and ground it and apply a good + 12v to the cable to see if it would turn over....No go as a violent arc occurred.... Now I removed the starter from the engine and am wondering what to do next?
Any tips on disassembling the starter to check for an internal short?

Since I took my motor off the frame for servicing, I thought I would look into hooking up the starter, since it was never hooked up since I bought the bike.
The first thing I noticed is that the heavy cables connected to the terminal on the starter body had been cut in two. While still mounted, I thought I would go ahead and ground it and apply a good + 12v to the cable to see if it would turn over....No go as a violent arc occurred.... Now I removed the starter from the engine and am wondering what to do next?
Any tips on disassembling the starter to check for an internal short?

Here's a pic of my starter motor when I had it out for inspection. Its held together by 2 long bolts. There are brushes inside to check for wear. Brushes must be replaced
@ 0.280". When you have it apart you want to clean the commutator. Pay attention to the location of the washers.

The OEM starter motor has high quality construction. I found my brushes had very little wear, so I just re-used them.

Refer to Haynes or Clymer manuals. Also www.biker.net has Yamaha Service manual.

Attachments

• Starter Motor R 1.JPG
    Starter Motor R 1.JPG
    245.8 KB · Views: 52
Back