1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

I have pondered the merits of owning a milling machine but cannot justify the cost as I can do most very small milling projects on my lathe. So having decided a mill is not for me, I have spent the last 5 months slowly modifying my crappy bench drill to a mill/drill. I had to rebore the quill to take a good dual race angular bearing and make a new chuck as the B16 drill chuck was not coaxial with the drive mechanism:
    Mill1.jpg
    Yesterday I finished the final job, a cut depth fine adjuster:
    Gauge 3.JPG
    The final beast:
    Gauge1.JPG

I have had a good play on it and with the correct cutter it does an excellent good on Brass and Aluminum with cut depths up to 3mm. I have no intention of milling steel because as cute as my mill is, it lacks sufficient metal to take out the flexibility. I imagine it will groan and vibrate on steel but may be ok for cast iron (steam engine cylinders). My total cost for the conversion was approximately £50 with £20 of that going on the cheap Chinese compound slide to allow me to work on larger items than my lathe's milling attachment can accommodate.

Moral of the story: A cheap bench drill will never make a high precision milling machine, that is why it is called a cheap bench drill. But it will satisfy my current needs working to 0.1mm or thereabouts.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020 at 4:29 PM
    gggGary, Downeaster, azman857 and 5 others like this.
  2. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    WP_20200713_003.jpg

Finally got enough shekels in the piggy bank to spring for a lathe.
    It's a Boxford Model B - a clone of the South Bend 9".
    Comes with a shedload of tooling too, which is handy.
    Just waiting for transportation opportunities to arise and it will be here... sometime.

3. Downeaster

Downeaster Everything in XS Top Contributor

Looks as tho it was well cared-for and equipped.

gggGary, Jim and Paul Sutton like this.
  4. Paul Sutton

Paul Sutton Sprained Ankle Top Contributor

A very nice buy there Grimly! From the photo it has everything to start work straight away. The bed looks to be in top condition with no chips out.

Enjoy the new Hobby...

gggGary and Jim like this.
  5. Grimly

Grimly XS650 Addict

Ireland
    I think it's gone through one refurb, certainly been painted, and it remains to be seen how well that was done. From what I can see it's been looked after. Of course, a half-century old lathe might have had a couple of careful owners and a couple of oafs in its history, much like my XS.
    Given the dearth of decent equipment for the kind of money I'm willing to pay over here, it's a long-distance purchase and I'm relying heavily on the good character of the seller. He's a member of another forum I'm on, and seems to be a straight shooter.

Paul Sutton and GLJ like this.