1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it my turn? Anything to do with lathes, mills and other shop tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gggGary, Dec 2, 2017.

1. WideAWAKE

WideAWAKE Single Fins and Twin Cylinders

that’s pretty cool!

gggGary, Mike G and Jim like this.
  2. WideAWAKE

My dad sent this to me this morning.

333A8495-4F2E-48CB-9202-70AACCFFAF28.jpeg

Yep! That’s one dialed in headstone!

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim, Mailman and 4 others like this.
  3. RustiePyles

RustiePyles Semper Fortis XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

That is possibly the coolest headstone I have ever seen :geek:

WideAWAKE, Jim and gggGary like this.
  4. fredintoon

fredintoon Fred Hill, S'toon. Top Contributor

Hi WideAWAKE,
    perhaps a depth-gauge would be more appropriate than a micrometer?

TwoManyXS1Bs, gggGary, GLJ and 3 others like this.
  5. WideAWAKE

HAHA!!

gggGary likes this.
  6. kshansen

kshansen XS650 Guru Top Contributor

Or for some an altimeter!

kopcicle and gggGary like this.
  7. WideAWAKE

Picked these up today.

Craftsman 103 band saw and an 80s import horizontal/vert combo with auto feed.

the horizontal saw will be getting a new rolling base with coolant tank.

For $100 total I couldn’t pass it up.

the craftsman needs the miter and rip guide but I’ll track em down. Original paint will polish up nicely and the chrome knobs are in great shape.

DB86DD3C-91DD-48B0-9442-0101822A80FB.jpeg 54D605DE-EDC1-4E8A-8C2C-D487F78084BA.jpeg

gggGary likes this.
  8. Found this today. It’s a Myford ML7 Circa 1945 and the guy wants around $2,000 CDN

Anyone have any experience with these? The price is a bit more than I wanted to pay but it is supposed to have a ton of tooling.

6408198C-5C85-40C3-A819-3331FF1B6340.jpeg

Mailman and Jim like this.
  9. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

To paraphrase an old real estate saying
    In old lathes the top three things to consider are; bed wear, bed wear, and bed wear.
    Seems like a lot for an old small lathe, even north of the border?

WideAWAKE, Jim and GLJ like this.
  10. Thanks gggGgary. I thought the price was high too.

The market on old lathes is tight. There just don’t seem to be many out here.

gggGary likes this.
  11. gggGary

gggGary When a whole one is just too much. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Not sure your intentions for the lathe but I kinda thought Canada has a pretty good pipeline of Chinese machine tools?

12. gggGary likes this.
  13. hovel

hovel ol' stupid XS650.com Supporter

Wow ! 76 years old. Generally speaking, a Myford is as good a hobby lathe as you can buy. They are pricey, look at a new one. The new ones are also more accurate than anything else its size. Upon close inspection - bed wear as gggGary mentioned, play in the carriage, etc. etc.- and the included tooling, the asking price may not be too far out of line. This one could easily be a diamond in the rough.

14. Thanks Hovel. That is some good info. to ponder

The seller isn’t in any rush and I suspect I would be able to get it for less if I put in a serious cash offer. He was a neat guy and we talked on the phone for over half an hour about the lathe, machinery and old motorcycles. He even offered to deliver if I purchased (a 4+ hour trip).

Aside from the usual sales pitch sellers typically give, I got the distinct feeling that he wanted it to go someone who would appreciate it. Sounds like his son wasn’t interested in inheriting.

I am going to request some more pics on the tooling, as it can I know it can add up quickly. Apparently it comes with both 3 and 4 jaw chucks, an unused set of gears and a bunch of misc. parts.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021 at 8:37 AM