Is there a difference in camshafts and advance rods between years?

guitarmaker

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guys, like the title says, do I need to get year specific parts or did they not change from beginning to end?

Are you a Luthier?

The first attached .pdf shows part numbers for the four different camshafts. The major issue to be concerned about is the unique '256', 1970-1973 models, camchain and sprocket pitch. Can't intermix with later types, unless you want to get really involved in sprocket changes.

The second attached .pdf is a camshaft parts fiche for the D, E, and F models. The advance rod is the same '256' part number used for all 1970-1979 models.

Thumbnail attachment is the bulletin describing the changes.

Attachments

• XS650CamChainTensionerIIParts.pdf
    15.6 KB · Views: 241
  • camDEF.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Tech11.jpg
    Tech11.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 147
Thanks. That's exactly what I needed to know.

I guess you would say I'm a novice luthier. I wanted to go full time when I was a little younger, but my interests expanded and I realized I wouldn't be satisfied just making guitars. So I build all kinds of stuff now in my own time. You know, when the mood hits me.

'80 and newer cams are the same as '74-on but without the bushings for the advance rod installed, but you can (carefully) add them.

He doesn't really say what he wants. He was just asking if the parts were the same.
He may have an engine that has the cam but nothing else. With the right Pamco kit he won't need to get any other parts.
Leo

The biggest difference between the early cams for 256 rod engines and late cams for 447 and 533 is the number of teeth on them they have a different number of teeth on the cam and crank, bad news if you mix them up.

OK, I need to figure out why a 447 / 36 tooth cam came out of my XS2. Been bothering me since I pulled it out. Also, 106 link cam chain (marked 219T on riveted link). Chain tensioner sprocket has 17T. Riddle me this as to why this would be in the engine with Std. looking 20 mm piston pin crank arms and 75 mm stock cast pistons. Build VIN tag date is 2/'72. Something tells me to look for a rational explanation(s) before putting engine back together. Only thing I can *assume* is that the cam was replaced and and with proper length chain for the 36T....

Do your rods have 256 or 447 on one side of them?

Does your motor have the same VIN # as the frame? Is it possible the motor has been swapped?

Just counted 18T on crank sprocket and 63 strait cut T on crank in the case....The rods Have 447 stamps. Yamaha on flip side..Matching nos. case n frame. Looking at the case seam, hard to tell if it's been apart see no gasket or sealer residue. ft n back or inside front of case.

Last edited:
The original XS2 crank had ( in my opinion ) a design flaw, it has lead slugs that were pressed into round openings in the crank for balancing the crank. Some members have reported these lead slugs coming loose and falling out, there by locking up the motor. It’s possible? That someone replaced the entire crank, rods, piston set up with one from a later motor, in an effort to repair such damage. Just a guess. :shrug:

Edit: I have no idea what would be involved in such a swap.

.The rods Have 447 stamps.
Someone has put a newer crank and cam in the engine. From 70 to 73 they were 256 engines. After that 447 in the US. If you do some searching on the forum you can find all the differences. Main changes were rod length/pistons. Cam gearing 17/34 for 256, 18/36 for 447 and cam chain pitch.

Yes, was thinking along same lines someone wanted the original cam, rods and took them or as you said needed the repair. The parts all look good. Wondering if the above mentioned configuration, sprokets chain, rods will work?

Yes, was thinking along same lines someone wanted the original cam, rods and took them or as you said needed the repair. The parts all look good. Wondering if the above mentioned configuration, sprokets chain, rods will work?
If it worked before should work again. One thing you should make sure of is that the cam chain tensioner sprocket is correct for the chain. The 447 cam chain has a different pitch than a 256 cam chain.

Back