Is this the BEST manual?

Yes, that would be a good manual, but the $93 price make it a less than good value. With a bit of shopping around you can find the same book for about 1/3 that price.
I have found the same manual on Ebay for less than $35 shipped. It is a used book.
I have found all my books on ebay. I have a factofy book that covers 70-74, a thick book with a lot of the tech bulletins that cover changes that occured mid year.
A 74 -77 and is like the 70-74 book. The 78 is a thinner book that covers just 78E model The 78 SE, 79F-SF, 80 G-SG are thin suppliments that just cover the changes for those years. I got the 70-74, 74-77and 78 books around the $25-35 range, the SE.F-FS, G-SG suppliments all together for $15.
The books I have can be found over at the Garage as free downloads, they have the 81 up suppliments too. I downloaded the 81 up suppliments and printout pages as I need them. Biker.net has some to download too.
I also have the Clymers and Haynes books.
Can't have to many.
Searching Ebay now you will find item #390511225185, it says 77XS650 E but the E is a 78. It looks very clean. $39 free shipping. I might also suggest ityem #160939205653, It's the 74-77 book. $39 free shipping. It has a lot more in it on the bike Not just more years but a very good section on how the carbs work. With diagrams showing how the fuel flows in the carb and how it mixes with air at idle all the way through full throttle. Very interesting reading.
Leo

Last edited:
Back