It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

Yes a step has to be machined on the bottom side of the perch for the switch body to set in. You also have to drill a hole for the plastic pin on the switch to set in. To make the pin hole I made a crude jig to guide the drill bit. Needed to do that because you are drilling at an angle compared to the housing.
View attachment 135037View attachment 135038
For the pivot bolt hole I drilled it with a 3/8s drill bit to the depth I wanted. This does not leave a flat bottom hole. I then used a 3/8s end mill to mill the bottom flat. If I had a real mill and better clamps I would have skipped using a drill bit first. If a guy had a real steady hand you might be able to do this with a hand drill. Fortunately for me I have a cheap drill press.
View attachment 135039
View attachment 135039View attachment 135040

Yeah! There you go. Nicely done, I like that much better than my pressure switch!

A little progress. Got new tire mounted and balanced today. Couldn't resist putting them on and putting tank, seat and side covers on. Nice to see it look like a bike again. Have to take front wheel off and make some sort of damper for the brake wheel interface. Mine were totally worn out. I get a clunk moving the disk back and forth. I did not cut my front fender. The other XS2 I have was cut like that. I cleaned it up and put it on to see what it would look like. When I rode mine I always wanted to do that but I could bring myself to cut the fender. I always thought they looked good that way. Tomorrow seat and tank go back off, tonight I can sit on it and go varoom varoom. :rock:
120.PNG
121.PNG
122.PNG

That’s really looking great buddy! I absolutely love the family history of your bike and how you held on to it all these years and now you’re bringing it back. You’re doing terrific work and I’m really looking foward to seeing it come together.
By the way I had my tank on today, just checking the fit. It’s already put away, but it was fun for a minute! :laugh2:

Pics what about a pic. Sometimes sometimes you just have to make it look like progress is being made.

Believe it or not, Mr. Photo here didn’t get a picture. And the work I got done was rather routine, I might post a mini update, as you say, the illusion of progress! :D

I see you have two types of screw jacks, the narrow and wide type. Do you have a preference? I have the narrow type and it seems to work well enough but I've considered getting a wide one too.

I see you have two types of screw jacks, the narrow and wide type. Do you have a preference? I have the narrow type and it seems to work well enough but I've considered getting a wide one too.
Just depends on the bike. The wide one works very well on the BMW because it has a large flat oil pan that hangs below the frame. The narrow works better on bikes that have pipes, hangers or side stands that protrude below the frame. They both have their uses, just depends on the bike. If I had to pick only one I would go with the narrow. But I am glad I have both. Neither were very expensive, around $50 on Amazon. Delivered.

I bought the brand name one, the Blackjack 1000, which these narrow ones copy, but it cost twice that. But, I don't regret it. I use it all the time and it works wonderfully. What tipped me off to these was seeing my dealer had one and was always using it. I feel these screw jacks are so much better than the hydraulic ones, so much easier to set at the exact height you want/need.

Got my wiring all in place and connected. My old harness was complete and had not been hacked on. But it was pretty stiff and was going to need a lot of new ends. I had thought about making a new harness myself, but I had noticed that Niche Cycle Supply had a complete new harness for XS2s pretty reasonable. $62.50. What could go wrong. Ordered it and a few other things from them. Everything arrived promptly, life is good. Few days ago started messing with it. Nice harness, not identical to my old one. It was missing 2 circuits. One was the red/white kill switch circuit the other was the blue/white for the electric start solenoid. Not a big deal, added a white wire from headlight bucket to solenoid. Added a red wire from bucket to coils and then a red from coils to safety relay. I know the wire colors I used are not by the print, I did not feel like trying to find wires with color tracers in them. Since I'm going to be the only person working on this bike not having the correct colors should not be a big deal. Anyway everything's hooked up. Got power where I should and none when I shouldn't. Starter solenoid only works when kill switch is on, horn even works. One thing that did go wrong was rear brake light switch broke when I tried to adjust it. No I was not using wrenches on it. 40 plus rear old plastic must get brittle. Also got new regulator temped in.
123.PNG
124.PNG
125.PNG
126.PNG

I'm a little surprised after my post last week nobody commented on my choice of tires. The rear just fits.

Very nice looking work! You’re making good progress here!
Machine beat me by a moment. I was going back in your thread to see if you said what kind of tires those were, and size? I chose modern tread design for my ‘77, but wanted a vintage look for my XS2. I. Quite sure the modern design will handle better.

Continentals GOs front 100/90 rear 120/90 witch equals what my old Eagles were. MJ90 and MR90. Never had a chain guard on before. Rear clears chain guard by 1/4 inch. Ran Conties Blitezes my BMR for years. Decent tire but not high mileage.I was told the GO was their replacement.

Back