It's past time to start XS2 Resurrection

You did all the right things, bolting an engine case in place and clamping everything into alignment. It is the nature of welding to kinda pull metal one way or another. You can still get the bolt through with a little gentle tapping, so that doesn’t seem too scary to me. I see you have the swingarm tube mounted up , so that’s a good sign that things are fitting alright. Once the bolt is in , it doesn’t move.
If it were me, working on my own bike. I’d finish the welding. Are you planning on keeping the engine case bolted in while you finish your welds? I would, and clamped as good as you can get it.
My two cents.
Yes I plan on keeping the cases in until it's welded.

Been piddling with the frame. With the frame pulled in place I ground a V in the breaks on the bottom and welded then welded them. Removed clamps. Then cut a 4 inch piece of pipe and split it half lengthwise. welded in the 2 pieces as a saddle.
46.PNG

47.PNG

Next I addressed the crack on the frame by the swingarm pivot.
33.PNG

Same thing grind, weld, grind and patch. Before welding this area I removed the swingarm bolt ,tube and seals as I didn't want to ruin the seals. I noticed that the tube and seals were a lot tighter than when I had put them in. Frame must be trying to suck together a bit. So I used some all-thread to spread and hold things apart.
48.PNG

After getting this done I was curious as to how the swingarm fit. Hot damn, I could fully insert it by hand. No tap tap needed.
One last crack.
49.PNG

Thinking of v-ing, welding, grinding and patching the best I can. Any thoughts? Do I even need to worry about it?
Also should I make a saddle for the topside of the cross-tube?
Not going to be hot lapping at the local scramble track anymore. (Scramble track long gone. Damn subdivisions.) But a pothole at 60 MPH can be a pretty good thud.

GO BEARS

I would watch for a centerstand. They're just so handy to have, and just not for working on the bike. I think they start easier and more readily when they're sitting level instead of leaned over. I also think using the kicker is easier when the bike is on the centerstand. You can stand on the pegs and really put your foot/leg into it.

I would watch for a centerstand. They're just so handy to have, and just not for working on the bike. I think they start easier and more readily when they're sitting level instead of leaned over. I also think using the kicker is easier when the bike is on the centerstand. You can stand on the pegs and really put your foot/leg into it.
I agree centerstands have great value. I always have used the ones on my BMW and Enfield. Really like the one on my BMW it's a ride-off. On the Enfield if you use the sidestand you can't check the oil until after you take it for a ride and then put it on the centerstand.
If I run across one for the XS2 I'll probably pick it up. My plan for it tho is to run a 2 into 1 exhaust like what I had on it.

Finished up the welding today. Still have some clean up to do on them.
Surprisingly there is a powder coat shop 5 blocks from my house. I stopped in to see the place. It's a small 1 man operation. Not much to look at. Owner seems nice enough to deal with. He guessed $150 to do the frame, $50 or less for swingarm, $30 or so for triple-trees. I'm guessing 250 to 300 total with all the other small parts. I plan on dropping everything off after X-Mass. I don't mind spending the time to paint the frame. I just do not want the mess involved. Plus I ain't worth a poop at painting.
:DIf powder-coating is good enough for the Duke it's more than good enough for me.:laugh2:

MERRY X-Mass

:cheers: GO BEARS :cheers:

Finished up the welding today. Still have some clean up to do on them.
Surprisingly there is a powder coat shop 5 blocks from my house. I stopped in to see the place. It's a small 1 man operation. Not much to look at. Owner seems nice enough to deal with. He guessed $150 to do the frame, $50 or less for swingarm, $30 or so for triple-trees. I'm guessing 250 to 300 total with all the other small parts. I plan on dropping everything off after X-Mass. I don't mind spending the time to paint the frame. I just do not want the mess involved. Plus I ain't worth a poop at painting.
:DIf powder-coating is good enough for the Duke it's more than good enough for me.:laugh2:

MERRY X-Mass

Very nice! I look foward to seeing your results.

While it's out for paint I'll have time to figure out a way to hang a chain hoist from my ceiling.Trouble I have with the ceiling is that it has 2 foot of insulation above it. I've got an idea. When I get that done I can then make a spiffy engine lifter like Jim made.
I really love this site for the ideas and inspirations I've got from here.

Oh the pain, the PAIN!!!!
Short term pain. I have no doubt the Pack will be back.
Side note my son's mother is from Amery WI. I made him a Bear fan. Could have something to do with why we split up.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-21_17-2-5.png
    upload_2018-12-21_17-2-5.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 135
I've got some threads to repair on my forks. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this kit. The price is right, just wonder about the quality.
upload_2018-12-27_16-47-26.png

Back