John Underwood (xsjohn)

Sorry to hear about the loss. My condolences go out to his friends and family.
Hopefully, someone will be spirited with his knowledge of needles.

Such a helpful guy always encouraged a phone call and loved to talk about XS's. He helped me a bunch and such a sad way to go. I have a bunchof his PM's saved and when I refer to them will always remeber the man.

Goodbye dear friend!

I hope his family will get view our comments so they know how much he was appreciated.

Last edited:
Ode to John

I run my XS at 8 to 1
Half the vibration & twice the fun
Bring down your hardtail, I’ll give you a run
Don’t mess with my bike, cos I’m good with my gun

My 34’s in standard tune
Wouldn’t pump out much more than a fume
I spent many days in a padded room
Till the answer it came on a warm day in June

It was custom needles I had to make
Yamaha had made a mistake
A plan to fix it before it would break
A holy piston is hard to take

A guitar string through your pilot jet
Will bore it right you’d better bet
Take your time & never fret
& keep on listening, I aint done yet

Carve your air box just like this
And pop out your covers to let the heat hiss
Do all these things, don’t give it a miss
& your bike will go like a shower of piss

TCI’s the only way
The spinning rotor is spot on all day
If you need a new box though, you’ll have to pay
I got some real cheap off of ebay

To get some air for cooling down
These aerofoil wings are the best I’ve found
They vent the breeze down towards the ground
And cool it more than an Eskimo’s hound

With extra oiling & extra cool
She runs real sweet, but you think I’m a fool
Though I’ve spent many hours with my hand on my tool
You tell me that aint what they told you in school

A standard look on a special bike
All Ruby Red & shockies I like
All day long I’d often hike
With 18 – 29 gears from Mike

No hard tail on
& my Thursday thong
You’re welcome to bring your bike along
I’ll set it right, it wont take long

Most adornments give me the shits
& ape hangers land bugs in your armpits
I get in deep, right up to my tits
But mine will never rattle to bits

Of course that day it had to come
The race was over, had I won
Time to return to where it begun
Now Gods XS is 8 to 1

RIP John

I literally feel physically ill. :( John and I posted to one another quite frequently. In fact, he was one of my first contacts in the XS community, and is largely - and directly - responsible for my bike having come as far as it has and being back on the road. Thank you, John, for all your help. And deepest thoughts and condolences to family and friends.

TC

Edit: Upon reading his obituary, I don't recall having known that John was a songwriter and musician. I wonder if one of his instruments was guitar? If so, I'd be a lot further along with my guitar pursuits if he'd been able to help me with that just a fraction as much as he did with my bike.

Last edited:
Whoa, I just logged on and this hits me in the face....................I'm shocked to say the least!!

When I got back into biking back in 2007 with my XS650, XSJOHN was a standout character, always ready to help out with improvements to our bikes. A very witty, in your face type of guy, but you just knew if you met together on these great bikes, you would go for a beer or two and laugh about the world.

I've had quite a few PM's with John over the past few years and enjoyed his passion for these bikes.

So here's to you John :cheers: rest in peace.

My condolences to his family and friends. I will miss his endless ellipsis', and outright refusal to spell my name right, which brought me no end of amusement.

Mr. John Franklin Underwood
UNDERWOOD
MOCKSVILLE – Mr. John Franklin Underwood, 63, of Jericho Church Road, died Wednesday, June 23, 2010, at Davie County Hospital. He was born Feb. 11, 1947, in Minnesota, to the late Hank Miles and Loretta Taylor Underwood. Mr. Underwood was the former owner of Underwood Rests. He was an inventor, an avid song writer who played many instruments, loved music of all sorts and loved motorcycles. Mr. Underwood was a loving husband and father and he will be greatly missed by his many, many friends. Survivors include his wife of 20 years, Jean Marie Smith Underwood of the home; a son, Alan Taylor Underwood of the home; a sister, Connie (Wade) Severson of Minnesota; and two nephews, Bobby & Michael Severson of Minnesota. A graveside service will be conducted at 10 a.m. Monday, June 28, at Hardison United Methodist Church Cemetery. The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. on Sunday, June 27, at Eaton Funeral Home. They request that memorials be considered for American Cancer Society, 4-A Oak Branch Dr., Greensboro, NC 27407; A Storehouse For Jesus, 675 E. Lexington Road, Mocksville, NC 27028 or to National Stroke Association, 9707 E. Easter Lane, Centennial, CO 80112. Online condolences may be made at www.eatonfuneralservice.com

Oh my God, I just logged in and couldnt believe what I was reading !
I dont know what else to say...Shockingly sad news ..
:-(

Condolences to all. It would be good of Travis to forward a printed copy of this thread to his survivors to show how many friends he had.

Back