John Underwood (xsjohn)

Condolences to all. It would be good of Travis to forward a printed copy of this thread to his survivors to show how many friends he had.

I don't think that will be necessary to show how many friends John had. I was told that many hundreds of people showed up to his funeral. His good friend Paul is in contact with the family and can direct them to this thread when appropriate.

Compared to paper the web is fleeting and less meaningful in other ways. But since many hundreds attended his funeral it might not be necessary.

Regarding paper, the web, and memories pertaining to XSJohn, I believe that one of the best tributes that we could make in his honor would be to collect his comments and advice for the XS into a single compendium. And I propose that it be shared among the XS650 community, the better for us to learn from it. What pains me, almost as much as John's passing, is the possible loss to the XS650 community if we do not attempt to preserve his wisdom. I believe John would approve.

Yamaman, you've said it with with more more poetry, eloquence and feeling than most of us could ever hope to. What a loss - for us in the XS community, all he wanted was for our bikes to run the best they could, and he shared everything he knew about that, again and again, with anyone who asked. I bought a set of his needles for my current '82 before I even had the bike home - he wrote many extra notes on his printed installation instructions, which I thought were pretty thorough just by themselves. He e-mailed me twice to make sure everything went together and worked all right, which it did. I did his timing retard - works great - and his extra inlet in the airboxes. What a generous spirit - too few in the world as it is, and now one less. I believe the best way to honor him is to be as generous in sharing what we know with each other, if maybe only a small fraction of what John knew (which surely is my case), as freely as he did.

This is terrible news, John was an asset to the 650 community, and he'll be missed. R.I.P.

Yes, the XS650 has lost one of it's biggest supporters. Like most here, I never personally met him but we corresponded quite a bit both on and off the net. He sent me needles to test and I sent him various parts to help in his experiments. I credit him with single handedly ushering the BS34s into the new century and making them work as they should. Before his custom needles came along, the 34s had a deservedly bad reputation. He will be missed.

I like cooltouch's idea about an XS John post gathering. With some review and editing (not everything he tried worked), it could be very good. Several years back, John was adamantly against running anything bigger than stock jetting. Through his needle development, he eventually discovered the BS34s do indeed need slightly bigger jets to run right.

I have 4 private messages on this forum. All were from him. He would go out of his way to help you. My condolences to the family.
Grady

Back when 650 Rider was still around, John and I exchanged quite a few PMs. I know I kept 'em all. Guess they're gone for good now, though.

How did I miss this? Damn I'm taking this hard. He lived near me, I was thinking just the other day I should ride out and meet him.

When I got involved with this forum, John was one of the first to help with my questions.
To feel the way I do about this loss for someone I have never met in person is hard to wrap my head around. I'm sure many feel as I do. He will be missed, and my prayers will be for his family.

I just got back from 1 week of Scout Camp.
I saw this post I couldn't believe it, My heart sank. John was very helpful to me as well,
with his needles, and air box mod, and emails/pms and personal encouragement.

Was hoping to try out his 8-1 mod.

God Bless him and his Family.

and I will miss him Greatly.:(

Always willing to help out. A great believer in the XS and a great experimenter to coax the best out of the XS. We will miss you old friend. He had his own opinions about a lot of things but that was part of his charm. I always listened to his advice. Ride well old friend. :bike:

Back