John Underwood (xsjohn)

guys there is a memorial patch posting is by Barb, buy one and let him Ride in peace forever and were ever we ride ............rite

Hello everyone, I'm newly registered but have been reading for two months since acquiring my first XS on July 17th. Only a few days ago I read the terribly sad news about xsjohn. My sincere condolences go out to the Underwood family, and all of xsjohn's friends.

Many, many times while lurking the net for info to awaken my non-running Special, I landed on a post by xsjohn (among other greats). I have read a lot about this man since, and he is one of the reasons I signed up. Thanks goes to him, and to all of you who provide such great support for this wonderful bike. Take care everyone.

I am sitting here crying at the loss of my friend. when I decided 67 years ago to get into building my bike this was the first forum I signed onto. and between xsjohn, roy fisk and a few others I was able to build.
John passed the idea around to build needles and it was at that time I had flat spots in my carb. I have what I think are johns beta test needles. he gave them to me to try. they were not perfect so he made and sent me a second set with a ton of spacers. He must have invited me down to visit a dozen times we had a lot of laughs and well. like everyone else has said he will be missed.

Kyle

Like others, I just logged back in today after a long absence to find this information. John helped me quite a bit with this needles, and timing issues. I enjoyed his email correspondence with me. He will be missed.

I still have an unused pair of his needles. They will be going in my '80 in the spring, but with new meaning, and in his honor.

God bless you John. We'll miss your knowledge and conservative views. If there's bikes in heaven, we'll need your help up there too.

Wow! I guess I havent visited the site in MONTHS! RIP XSjohn. Thanks for all your help threw the years.

I always admired John for his passion and devotion to these bikes and always willing to help anyone with interest. RIP my friend.

i wish i would have met him or had help from him on one of my builds.it sounds like his knowledge was very vast and he will be missed.may his knowledge continue on i all our bikes.

If you use the search feature on the top right of each page it is likely that John will help you even now. A little unsettling some days when it catches you unawares who's advice you are getting!

Gary, I'm also caught off guard when someone bumps an old thread and I there's John talking about going to 8:1 or carbs or something....

NO WAY...... Fuck man, I learned a lot from his knowledge and his awesome attitude. My hearts out to his loved ones. I am sure we will all miss you man!

Not trying to be harsh, but does anyone know if we will still be able to get a set of needles?

Last edited:
Terrible terrible news. I haven't graced xs650 in a while and this was a disturbing post to read after all this time. Last time I interacted with John, he helped me with a difficult idling situation. He was always very nice and helpful and will be sorely missed!!!

Our prayers are with you my friend!

Peace be with you!

Back