John's Build Thread

Yeah - perhaps taking the carbs off and giving them a really thorough cleaning would be worthwhile.

Pete
So after taking a short break I took the advise posted on this thread, lo and behold. the bike fired right up and runs pretty well without the choke. My question is what would be a good idle speed for an 81 model? currently about 900 rpm and on the verge of dying.

My question is what would be a good idle speed for an 81 model? currently about 900 rpm and on the verge of dying.

I am pretty sure the spec is 1100 RPM.

I have seen a lot of folks go for a super-low idle but I think its a pain because they have to keep blipping the throttle and that just makes a racket. Besides, having a bike die just as you are trying to make a left turn in front of an on-coming concrete mixer seems to me to be...adding a bit too much excitement the ride.

Pete

So I got the bike running nicely, a joy to ride around town with. While on my last excursion I noticed the front end seemed very stiff. When I arrive home I applied the front break and shoved as hard as possible but there was no travel in the forks, They appear to be frozen.

Any thought on where to go from here?

So I got the bike running nicely, a joy to ride around town with. While on my last excursion I noticed the front end seemed very stiff. When I arrive home I applied the front break and shoved as hard as possible but there was no travel in the forks, They appear to be frozen.

Any thought on where to go from here?
Try loosening up the front the front tire. Axle and pinch bolts.

I've always called 'em pinch bolts.... they're actually studs and nuts.

IMG_20190503_195032.jpg

Hey Jim, Went out this morning and loosened the cap nut and the axel nut. When I tried bouncing the front I still could not get any dampening movement, still seems to be locked up. I cannot see any obvious damage upon a close visual inspection of the exterior portion of the forks. Any other thoughts or idea's as I am at a lose as to how to proceed.

You could try loosening up everything... yoke, triple tree, front fender. Wiggle everything around and see if it's out of alignment. If it's still stuck you'll prolly have to take the forks apart.
One other thing I just thought of..... could be the PO overfilled the fork oil. You could try draining it and putting the correct amount back in.
Also, while you're working on the front end, make sure the rear is held somehow... tied or weighted down so the bike doesn't fall forward when the forks collapse. :yikes: Even a floor jack and piece of wood under the engine.... something to hold the front end up.

You could try loosening up everything... yoke, triple tree, front fender. Wiggle everything around and see if it's out of alignment. If it's still stuck you'll prolly have to take the forks apart.
One other thing I just thought of..... could be the PO overfilled the fork oil. You could try draining it and putting the correct amount back in.
Also, while you're working on the front end, make sure the rear is held somehow... tied or weighted down so the bike doesn't fall forward when the forks collapse. :yikes: Even a floor jack and piece of wood under the engine.... something to hold the front end up.
Back again Jim. I think your last thought was right on target. I drain each fork and there was approximately 330 ml of fluid in each one. I think I read in the tech section 170 ml should be about right.
Any suggestions on the type of fluid and weight? I am looking for the softest ride possible. I thought I read on one post you should flush out the forks with kerosene prior to refilling? what do you think?

Several good flushes is probably a good idea. No recommendations on the oil. I'll be experimenting with mine once it's back on the road..

The spec calls for 169cc (5.7 oz.) of 10 wt. fork oil. These forks work better with a little bit more oil than that, like 6.5 to 7 ounces. If the forks were torn all down, cleaned, and are completely dry inside, I'll put 7 ounces in. If it's just a drain and re-fill, I'll go with 6.5 ounces.

Back