Joining the XS650 world!

HiPurpleTurtle

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey there, folks! Just picked up a '78 Special last night. Had to drive about 120 miles to pick it up and then I rode it back home around midnight. It's hasn't been restored or anything, but it looks pretty clean! Runs pretty good, too. I had no issues on the ride home at all. Aside from running out of gas..But, yeah. hahah

My plans are to mod it into a cafe. I love the simple and clean style, so that's where I'm headed.

The first things that I'll do is probably just throw on some clubmans, change the seat, and possibly figure out how to make some rear sets. I'll end up probably just buying them, since I'm not a very good fabricator..:doh:

I don't know much about these bikes, YET, but I'm planning on learning as much as I can! :thumbsup:

First things, first, though..I need to take a few pictures soon! And I need to do some basic maintenance to make sure she's in tip-top shape!

I'll definitely update this post later once I get some pictures. Hopefully it won't be too dark after I get off work! :thumbsup:

426787_3212869714943_1062296985_3205002_681736313_n.jpg

426254_3212870834971_1062296985_3205003_2134392748_n.jpg

Last edited:
Yup pics or it hasn't happened. Welcome aboard. Lots to see and learn here.

I'll provide the proof tomorrow. :thumbsup:

But my xs looks pretty similar to this one:
79XS650Special.jpg

Shame that it doesn't have laced wheels, but I'll be rocking these wheels until I can find a decent set of some.

i bet that was fun , riding it back. did you have to push it far?

get a manual and start getting dirty!!

Luckily a few friends of mine tagged along, so we were able to drive down to the nearest gas station and buy a container to put gas in. hah
It was only about 2-3 miles away, but it was all uphill, so yeah..

Welcome buddy! Post pics.

Thanks!

I'd like for mine to end up similar to this:
402684_233669513394249_165773990183802_480613_1206318690_n.jpg

Looks pretty simple to do, but of course I'd change a few things to my own taste. :D

So much to learn, not enough time!

:thumbsup:Welcome Good choice buying a running bike just do the basics oil change if its not broke don't fix it. :D Cafe is a good style.

Hahah exactly! I'm actually kind of reluctant to go through the carbs and whatnot, since it runs fine how it is now..
I'm sure I'll give it a nice cleaning eventually.

Gotta clean and polish the engine whenever I get some free time!

So I came across this bike: http://wrenchmonkees.com/monkee04.html

LOVE it.

Wow, 120 miles home, thats impressive.

Mine kicked over, back fired, then shit itself in the back of the dudes truck who I bought it from..sold!

Geez! Haha well I'm glad I was able to get my hands on a running one..
Looks like the battery decided to crap out on me, though. Gonna go buy a new one and hope that it'll fire up again.

Here's the only cell phone pic that I have of the bike:
2lah1.jpg

Lookin' good
Don't just replace the battery, trickle charge it with an automatic charger and test your charging system.

Welcome to the site!
Not often we see a post that starts with "I rode it home".
Nice lookin scoot, it runs and summer is comin.
Buy a lotto ticket your luck is on.

Like Gary said before investing a new battery find out if the charging system is up to snuff. I'd start with brush length could be as simple as that.
I pass through Tulsa and OKC every May. Hope to see ya in the breeze.

I definitely need to invest in a trickle charger. Hah
Could you guys recommend one to me? Or is any typical $30 charger good?

I'll look into the charging system troubleshooting after work if I have the time. School is kind of rough for me right now. Haha

I'll definitely keep an eye out for ya!

I use a "motomaster" trickle charger, $30, works great.

Its got quick plug ends so now that its hooked up, it takes 10 seconds to throw on the charger.

The el cheapo chargers from wally world work just fine, I have several and haven't killed one yet. The bigger one that has 3 battery size/charge rates and shows percent of charge/charged is nice though.

Any charger is good IF it isn't a trickle charger. Most Cheap trickle chargers at around $10 charge at too high a voltage and with extended use boil the battery.
Get one that is a 1.5 amp charger/maintainer. This type charges at 1.5 amps till just under full charge then drops to a very low current, like .10 amps at about 13.5 volts to finish charging. This type can be left hooked up for long periods with out boiling the battery.
Most chargers of this type start about $40. Battery Tender is a well known brand. I have a Schumacher.
Leo

Thanks for the great info, guys!
I left my battery at an AutoZone so they could charge it for me while I was at work. Just put it back in the bike and she fired right up! Took her around the block and all seemed well! I'm hoping it'll be fine from now on, though I won't be too surprised if the charging system is having some issues.
Oh yeah! My left rear blinker didn't work when I was riding it home..Seems to be working just fine now! Guess the battery played a part in that. hah

Definitely going to go check out my local Walmart tonight to see if they have that Schumacher in stock! If not, I'll be ordering it off Amazon. haha

The charger that gggGary links to Is the one I have. The price sure dropped on that. I paid around $40 for mine a few years ago.
A great charger and a great price.
I also have one from Schumacher that is 2, 4, 6 amps. Works very well for larger batteries like in my boat.
On the 6 or 4 amp rate at Full charge it drops to a low current like the smaller charger.
I think it charges the boat battery faster than the old Marine 10 amp I have.
Leo

Back